Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Closed Road Sportives

Well, first closed-road event completed (Ride London 100) and it's made me not want to ride in traffic ever again! In fact, I almost got taken out by a bin lorry whilst riding home to South London, marvellous.

The feeling of riding on closed roads yesterday was great (despite the fact I forgot my water-wings!), and I have to say that almost all of the participants were very respectful of both the terrible conditions and other cyclists. I counted only 3 numpties all day who were pushing it in inappropriate places.

Anyway, my question... What are the other closed-road UK sportives? I can't seem to find a comprehensive list anywhere. I know of Etápe Cymru but there surely must be some more?...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do The Great Manchester as it is right on my doorstep, it is a busy lopped course so lots of lapping. It takes at least 1.5 laps before you meet the first numpties, er I mean slower cyclists.

I have also hear about the new Velothon in Wales 2015 and The Isle of Man TT (yes for bicycles) and the Loch Ness.

Seems like they are all quite spread out really. And in Ireland?

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

By the way, although Etape Caledonia is loads of fun, if you don't live nearby it works out REALLY expensive - we're talking £500 or so if you take a few nights there and travel by train from the other end of the country. To be honest, the roads are so quiet you'd be fine cycling the route any other weekend of the year and you'd only be passed by a few cars.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Etapes Caledonia and Pennines are two more. There's not too many, sadly, but I grudgingly accept that closing the roads is pretty inconvenient to those that live along the route.

Latest Comments