Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hit by a car, the driver is responsible. What to do?

I'm sorry if there is a default post for this ...

I got hit by a car this morning. Nothing serious; bruises cuts and a headache/stiff neck. A+E discharged me.

I was in the cycle lane, car was turning into a drive. Driver didn't check their mirror and pulled straight into me whilst i was cycling alongside it.

Police were driving by and stopped. Driver admitted they didn't look and were in the wrong.

Also, super kind eye-witness came up and gave me and the police his number and accounted for the fact the driver pulled into me / was in the wrong.

Took pictures of where the car hit me.

I'm waiting to get the drivers' insurance details from the police.

The driver has been in contact with me to try and arrange it outside of the insurance company and I don't know what to do / how to respond.

With regards to the bike: bent wheels, bent forks, bent front+bank derailleurs, bent handlebars

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed, I would really appreciate it.

This is in the UK.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Bikebikebike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Strength, comrade.

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take it easy.

I settled outside of insurance because I was uninjured.

dotdash replied to ronnyjowe | 9 years ago
0 likes
ronnyjowe wrote:

To summarise the above thread for anyone who comes looking:

Wait to see if any symptoms appear before you make any rash decisions (whiplash came within 48 hours, my knee didn't come to light until i started running...as i had no bike or money for a bike) I was injured more than I was aware of at the time it happened.

Getting compensation is a seriously long and frustrating process...haven't yet found out if it's worth it or not...I'll post a final update once i find out...

CANNOT WAIT TO GET BACK ON A BIKE.  102

Could you look into getting a rental bike and billing them for it? After all if this was a car you would be after a hire car whilst yours is off the road.

Ants | 9 years ago
0 likes

I requested and received the interim payout for damage to bike and clothing etc within a couple of months (less depreciation for clothing) but am still in the process of the injury claim (since August). It is worth asking for this amount as if they are accepting responsibility there is no reason for them to withhold payment. If you wait for the payment for injuries and damage as one payment you could be without a bike for a long while. Your solicitor should advise but worth asking for the bike repair or replacement cost now.

LarryDavidJr replied to Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leodis wrote:

(plus I recovered the old wheelset and flogged them)

Errr ... they were replaced after an accident and then you flogged the accident damaged wheels to someone else? I'm hoping I've misunderstood this.

Pages

Latest Comments