Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

90% decided on new bike - any alternatives i should be looking at?

after a couple of months of research i'm 90% sold on the idea of the 2015 genesis equilibrium disc 20.

it seems to offer everything on my wish list;
steel frame
carbon forks
hydraulic disks
28mm tyre clearance

the one other bike i quite like the look of is the cotic escapade, but i don't think it's 'race' enough - not that i'm likely to be doing any racing...but i do like to go fast.

are there any other bikes i should be looking at?

cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

CX bikes perform just as well on the road if you fit road tyres.

However, if the Genesis floats your boat then that's what really matters.

glynr36 replied to Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

CX bikes perform just as well on the road if you fit road tyres.

However, if the Genesis floats your boat then that's what really matters.

The chainset is too small as well, a 46 as your biggest!

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love my Kinesis T2 - Its aluminium though so might not float your boat, but i think they do a disc friendly alternative.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

cheers Rod.

light off road is all i'm after - i realise it's not a cross bike.
i've got 25mm rubino pro's on my road bike (a 'ratty '08 allez) and have used that along gravel and towpaths which it seems to handle ok - albeit not at top speed!

i think i want to keep the road performance as a preference over off road so i can keep up on group road rides, hence looking at the equilibrium rather than the croix de fer.

Rod Marton replied to bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

You should be fine with the Equilibrium then, the handling is pretty much spot on so it will be at least as good as the Allez on gravel.

Rod Marton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride an Equilibrium, and whilst it will cope with light off-road, it doesn't do it especially well. It is designed as a road bike, after all. With mudguards you can't really use tyres wider than 25mm (you can just get 28mm tyres in but it's a tight squeeze), and even for light off-road you really need wider tyres. If you want something more off-road friendly you will lose speed and road performance, unfortunately no bike does everything. I use mine as more as a summer bike, commuting along dark potholed single-track lanes in the winter I generally use a hybrid.

gr3g0ree | 9 years ago
0 likes

My preferences are a bit different (got a thread here as well) but take a look at the
Whyte Suffolk.

bigshape replied to gr3g0ree | 9 years ago
0 likes
gr3g0ree wrote:

My preferences are a bit different (got a thread here as well) but take a look at the
Whyte Suffolk.

thanks, i did consider the whyte suffolk (along with various other ali framed options from kinesis, BMC, etc.)

but... I really want a steel frame!

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice! Cheers.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

i think the equilibrium has guard and rack mounts for 2015

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been tossing a coin between the Equilibrium 20 and a Spa Steel Audax as a winter/short touring bike. Am I right in thinking there aren't any mounts for a pannier rack on the Genesis?

giobox replied to bamilton wackademical | 9 years ago
0 likes
bamilton wackademical wrote:

I've been tossing a coin between the Equilibrium 20 and a Spa Steel Audax as a winter/short touring bike. Am I right in thinking there aren't any mounts for a pannier rack on the Genesis?

Technically yes you are correct, but it's super easy to get a seat post collar adapter that lets you mount a rack using the adapter and the lower mudguard mount. This works every bit as well as dedicated upper rack mounts. I know a few equilibriums kitted with racks this way.

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

I reckon the Genesis will be 'ace'. I have an Equilibrium 20 (non-disc) and have been very happy with my choice. Clearance for mudguards is very handy for the winter and they don't slow you down.

bigshape replied to Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

would the equilibrium be ok for light off road, i.e. gravel tracks, towpaths, the occasional bridleway?

i ride mainly road, but sometimes i get a bit bored on my commute and go off on a bit of an explore...

that's probably the only thing that keeps the croix de fer in the back of my mind.

Latest Comments