Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's in your tool box / parts bin? Post photos!

I was doing a bit of housekeeping in the garage and turned up a few relics. Do you have something interesting or amusing in your toolbox? Post a photo! Suggestions:

• Strange, obsolete, or humorous bicycle tools
  • Ancient parts or accessories
  • Useless bicycle paraphernalia
  • Medals, patches, stickers, or other memorabilia from rides or races
  • Broken things you can't bear to part with
  • Perhaps the toolbox itself!

The more absurd and pointless, the better.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

gthornton101 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shimano positron shifters and derailleur from (I think) an early 90s Raleigh hybrid.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

This thread is like hoarders anonymous!

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

Short bits of chain trimmed off new ones to get them to the right length. A stack of spare brake blocks as a result of thinking I'd go through them at a rate of knots when riding in the Alps.

Derny replied to Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shades wrote:

Short bits of chain trimmed off new ones to get them to the right length. A stack of spare brake blocks as a result of thinking I'd go through them at a rate of knots when riding in the Alps.

I once had the brilliant idea of taking a heap of chain trimmings (all Sedis Sport) joining them together to make a new chain for FREE. The denouement involved trying to beat a rivet back into the chain using a rock and an allen wrench, trailside.

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Flexstem, for bonus points in evolution (1 and a quarter inch) headset size!

NickK123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

A suite of bottle cages, old bottles, tubes that need repairing, a straight tho' Record cassette (ditched when i moved to N Yorks), some frame pumps, single tyres (where the matching tyre has got mashed), some Delta cleats, leather cycling shoes (still in occasional use), the list goes on and on ...

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an old box my shifters came in, full with an assortment of washers, bolts, nuts, and other small parts that ill surely use at some point. lots of bar tape ends that i can't throw away.

dafyddp | 9 years ago
0 likes

washers from redundant (MTB) brake blocks. Especially it seems, the extruded cast aluminium ones that help position/angle the blocks. Can't see any alternative use for them, but equally reel at the thought of throwing away...

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

- Dozens of inner tubes from when some shop messed up my order
- A broken SunTour derailleur
- Half a stem (faceplate broke)
- Assorted useless or incomplete bar tapes
- A puncture kit with no patches
- Loads of batteries, zip ties, toothpicks
- Some decrepit leather toe straps that have seen better days

unclebadger | 9 years ago
0 likes

Probably the stupidest thing is one only of a pair of Onza Bar ends...

Still I remain convinced the other will turn up one day  1

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

T.A. cleats, new with nails (slightly shop worn). Surely will come in useful some day, just haven't found the right shoes for them.

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

Here's one to start...

Latest Comments