Home

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/report-sagan-signs-with-tink...

Rumoured a while ago, be interesting to see how that works with Contador in GT's and week long races, and doesn't seem like they can offer him much classics support?

11 comments

Avatar
Gkam84 [9086 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

The benefit of having Sagan over an out and out sprinter, he doesn't need any back up riders, so having him in a GT riders team doesn't really take away from a GT's support.

So he'll have no issues slotting into a Contador GT team  3

Avatar
AWPeleton [3281 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Good signing for them but i cant seeing him helping one jot in the GT's team as he has his own adgenda.

Avatar
glynr36 [637 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

The benefit of having Sagan over an out and out sprinter, he doesn't need any back up riders, so having him in a GT riders team doesn't really take away from a GT's support.

So he'll have no issues slotting into a Contador GT team  3

He does need support. His recent lack of wins this year was down to not having riders with him in the last 10k.
He burns them up too much, so has to work on his own especially as anyone with him knows he has the apron. He's only going to have less riders in a GT on saxo where they'll be more bothered about protecting AC.

Avatar
TheDoctor [177 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

According to tinkoff, he hasn't signed and they aren't announcing anything either yet

Avatar
glynr36 [637 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
TheDoctor wrote:

According to tinkoff, he hasn't signed and they aren't announcing anything either yet

Velo news says their source (Slovak paper) states TS will confirm tomorrow.

Oleg said something about signing him a few days back on his pissed up holiday it seems, and about an hour ago says he's not signed him and he's to Alonso's new team.

Can never tell when he's serious.

Avatar
Gkam84 [9086 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

The benefit of having Sagan over an out and out sprinter, he doesn't need any back up riders, so having him in a GT riders team doesn't really take away from a GT's support.

So he'll have no issues slotting into a Contador GT team  3

He does need support. His recent lack of wins this year was down to not having riders with him in the last 10k.
He burns them up too much, so has to work on his own especially as anyone with him knows he has the apron. He's only going to have less riders in a GT on saxo where they'll be more bothered about protecting AC.

Fair enough, for the classics, but look at the TdF and how he held the green jersey, what do you think Oleg would rather see, a couple of stage wins or a Jersey on the back of Sagan every stage?

Avatar
glynr36 [637 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I think it's a mix of both, he'd like a Green Jersey with a few stage wins!
Sagan always seemed disappointed when he didn't get a stage win especially the few he should have had!

Avatar
MartyMcCann [223 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

According to Sticky Bottle Nico Roche is leaving Tinkoff with a move to Sky mooted (though not confirmed)
http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/nicolas-roche-on-way-out-of-tink...

Sagan hardly a replacement though!

Avatar
Flying Scot [918 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I would have him over Mr Cavendish every day of the week, he doesn't need zero support, but he is as close to a one man stage winner as we have at the moment, in that he takes a minimal amount away from the GC support to get the points, stage wins, and ultimately... The trade team jersey on the telly.

Avatar
rnarito [46 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Say what you want about Sagan, but he's exciting to watch! And with more people watching, there's more people buying bikes. Why do you think bicycle brands sponsor riders???

Avatar
giobox [355 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Is he taking his brother from Cannondale with him? It was widely reported at the time he demanded a team place for Juraj Sagan as part of his own contract negotiations when he joined Liquigas/Cannondale.