Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Titanium n+1

I have decided I need some titanium in my life and have been looking online at the various possibilities. I need to have mudguard compatibility, which doesn't seem to be a issue as such. I would prefer disc brakes, and this is where it would seem my choices are quite limited. As far as I can see, the options are the Sabbath September Disc and Van Nicholas.

The Genesis Equilibrium Ti does not seem to be disc compatible. Kinesis Tripster ATR fits the bill, but from what I have seen online, it doesn't appear as aesthetically pleasing as the other options. Plus issues with the seat clamp and fork would bother me.

I am fully aware that ride quality and fit can only be ascertained in person. I suppose my question is; what other options are available and what sort of issues have Ti owners had with their bikes. For eg: build quality or compatibility issues and even after sales service?

I intend for this bike to have a touring role, so have even considered a Rohloff with a belt drive. Any experience with this combination?

And lastly budget is £3.5k max, £3k would be ideal.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

indyjukebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments. The Shand Stoater Rohloff looks very nice but not Ti. Shame really.

The Enigma Evoke does not take mudguards, so isnt a viable option.

Any experience with Van Nicholas?

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
indyjukebox wrote:

truffy: Enigma are a bit too expensive. I think I am paying for the privilege of buying from a small UK company. But then the frames are not made in the UK are they?

According to the product information:

Quote:

Every Evoke is individually handcrafted to order in our own workshop by Titanium maestro Joe Walker.

It doesn't specifically state "our own workshop in the UK not China", but I rather assumed that to be the case. I wasn't advocating it, simply pointing out to NickK123 that it would likely blow your budget.

NickK123 replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:
indyjukebox wrote:

truffy: Enigma are a bit too expensive. I think I am paying for the privilege of buying from a small UK company. But then the frames are not made in the UK are they?

According to the product information:

Quote:

Every Evoke is individually handcrafted to order in our own workshop by Titanium maestro Joe Walker.

It doesn't specifically state "our own workshop in the UK not China", but I rather assumed that to be the case. I wasn't advocating it, simply pointing out to NickK123 that it would likely blow your budget.

I went for an ex-demo from Enigma - which was below the budget line. Worth speaking to Jim Walker (manager) what ex-demos are coming up (size, frame etc).

indyjukebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, the September is lovely to drool at.

Pauldmorgan: I suppose you can change things, but the fact that there are issues with a product fail to inspire faith in said product. Even if those changes are not expensive to make. Plus, visually (at least online) it doesn't impress me. I may change my mind once I have had a look at one in person.

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a Sabbath September - fantastic machine and once sold I regretted the day the buyer walked in.  102
It had the room and mounts for full mudguards and rack (if wanted) and was superbly comfortable.
Oh how I wish I never sold it - highly recommended.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

stealfwayne replied to trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

I had a Sabbath September - fantastic machine and once sold I regretted the day the buyer walked in.  102
It had the room and mounts for full mudguards and rack (if wanted) and was superbly comfortable.
Oh how I wish I never sold it - highly recommended.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Couldn't agree more, a lovely machine. Comfortable, fast (enough for me anyway ) at over 70kmh. I did have an issue with the stickers as in rubbing off - I rang up and they sent me replacement set free in a day or two.. Fantastic service. Really helpful. It's a shame I cannot justify purchasing another one so I can have Discs too...  105

pauldmorgan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have had a Tripster ATR for about six months and love it. No issues with the new-style seatpost clamp (the review was for the 1st gen frame) and in any-case it would be an odd thing to put you off a bike when you can easily replace it.

As for the fork I'm not convinced that the juddering mentioned in the review on this site isn't a disc brake adjustment issue. I too experienced juddering initially with my pre-used BB7s. Since fitting new pads, and cleaning and truing the rotors I've had no repeat.

The ride quality is great and you can fit big tyres, guards and a rack. My last big ride on it was the Dunwich Dynamo which it did with aplomb.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mmmm, the Enigma Evoke supports disc brakes, but the frame alone is £2200, which doesn't leave much for 'stuff'.
http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/road/products/evoke

NickK123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at the Enigma range - can't speak too highly about the company.

Latest Comments