Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2010 bianchi 928 c2c and 2002Colnago C40

Hello all,

I have two potential used bikes that I am looking at:

1) 2010 Bianchi 928 C2C Campagnolo Centaur group for 1200 euros...

2) 2002 Colnago C40 with new Shimano 105 put on in 2010, in very good condition for 1000 euros...

Any advice would be much appreciated! The Colnago was a very high end bike obviously but 10 years ago.. is it still a good ride for 1000 euros? The Bianchi also good...

This is my first road bike that I want to use for some sprint triathlons and longer trips... I've done my research and both seem like good deals.

Advice please!

Thanks,
Tim

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

adrianoconnor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Like two others have already said, buy the bike that fits you! And if neither bike fits, buy something else. That Colnago looks like a very large frame, by the way -- be careful to check the geometry of the Colnago frames, because they slope things differently which means their sizes don't match up with other manufacturers' raw C-C numbers.

As for which is better; they're both great bikes. The Bianchi is probably the more sensible choice, being newer, but I'd personally go for the Colnago -- they're just beautiful. The C40 was a pro frame, and it'd be an amazing machine to ride fast, but that's a two-edged sword -- it will probably make for harder work than a modern 'endurance' oriented frame on long rides. It'd be awesome though.

Edit -- ah, look at that, should have refreshed the page before I wrote a reply -- the Merckx will be an equally fantastic bike, good choice  1

timmaler1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

In the end, went with a 2012 Eddy Merckx emx-1 with Compagnolo veloce for 800, in great condition. Think it was a very good find.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Firstly, size, secondly, size.

Colnago is unlikely to lose any value, the Bianchi might lose a bit more

truffy replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

Is that because Colnago is so old already, or that a Bianchi is less desirable?

Flying Scot replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:
Flying Scot wrote:

Is that because Colnago is so old already, or that a Bianchi is less desirable?

That Colnago is more desirable.....they've always been more expensive, though I would dispute that when new, at given price points, that they were any better! But many people do view Colnago and De Rosa as top of the big brands.

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

First of all, those two bikes are not the same size, so I think it's unlikely that they will both fit you equally well. That is more important than any other aspect of your decision, so pick the one that fits.

Second, there have been many improvements in carbon frame design and manufacturing between 2002 and 2010. Personally, I would favor the Bianchi for that reason.

Third, absent any detailed information about mileage or how much rough duty the bikes have experienced, I would guess the Bianchi has more life left in it.

I would pick the Bianchi, if it fits properly, or neither.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Both are newer and better spec'd than my current road bike. And I've never ridden either, so take this with a pinch of salt...

I think that the Bianchi may be a more comfortable ride, as it's their C2C range, while the C40 was part of the more aggressive Colnago racing (as opposed to endurance) lineage.

Personally, I'd lean toward the Bianchi, because I'm in the process of speccing one myself. The Colnago would be a bit much for me. But you might have different tastes and riding style. A test ride of both bikes would be the best way of finding out!

The Bianchi is reviewed here (sorry it's not road.cc, their review was for the B4P version). There's bound to be some of the C40 in the interwebz.

timmaler1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments