Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Are all ANT+ sensors compatible?

Now I am looking to improve my performance and am looking at cadence. I have a bryton 20 which says that it is ANT+ and can take both speed and cadence sensor data. My question is twofold first will it handle a dual sensor and secondly will I have to buy a bryton dual sensor(s)? I feel a little silly asking but would like to know. Many thanks in anticipation.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

trek-buyer | 9 years ago
0 likes

As mentioned above, go to the web:

http://www.thisisant.com/directory/

Find the (receiving) device you have, then you will be able to check the compatible options.

I recently bought a HR monitor from Decathlon to pair to both my Timex and Garmin devices, works a treat. Considered the cadence sensor, but to be honest it looked "cheap" quality (although what did I expect for <£20).

Rob

Nat Jas Moe replied to trek-buyer | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have been to this site and Bryton is not on there.  17 Again thanks for all the advice will now try nd make up my mind about which Saul sensor to get.

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're only interested in a cadence sensor, the new garmin one is a brazilian times neater than the old double monstrosity, and you can pick it up for around £30-35. It works with the Rider 20, though you have to start pedaling before you turn on the Bryton for it to be picked up.

I have a rider 20 with a Garmin HR strap and the new Garmin cadence sensor, and it all works reasonably well.

Anthony.C | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you look on the ANT+ website they have a list of everything that is compatible for each product.

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

decathlon combined sensor works fine on my garmin 510 usr one on my winter/commute bike

JonD | 9 years ago
0 likes

>You should also beware of some of the cheaper sensors (especially Decathlon) which, whilst compatible, don't broadcast their sensor ID in a way which allows all computers to recognize them.

>completely different protocol

Interesting..Garmin screw it up too. The latest Etrex line (came out a few years ago) can pick up cadence, hrm. (Etrexes generally are oft-used by the audax crowd.)
Can I use a cadence-only sensor ? - can I heck ! - only the (more expensive) combined Garmin sensor works, yet it does nothing with the speed pickup.

fukawitribe replied to JonD | 9 years ago
0 likes
JonD wrote:

>You should also beware of some of the cheaper sensors (especially Decathlon) which, whilst compatible, don't broadcast their sensor ID in a way which allows all computers to recognize them.

>completely different protocol

Interesting..Garmin screw it up too. The latest Etrex line (came out a few years ago) can pick up cadence, hrm. (Etrexes generally are oft-used by the audax crowd.)
Can I use a cadence-only sensor ? - can I heck ! - only the (more expensive) combined Garmin sensor works, yet it does nothing with the speed pickup.

Interesting - the only Etrex on the ANT+ product list is the E30, and that's only spec'd to support HRM, temp and Geocache.. half surprised it works with cadence at all. I guess the audax crowd would be less interested in the more performance oriented profiles but even so, it's a weird choice of navigation aid.

step-hent | 9 years ago
0 likes

You should also beware of some of the cheaper sensors (especially Decathlon) which, whilst compatible, don't broadcast their sensor ID in a way which allows all computers to recognize them. I bought a Decathlon one, only to find that the Garmin wouldn't recognize it. I then found out that I would also need an ANT+ sensor for my PC in order to find out the sensor ID and then type that into my Garmin. Ended up taking it back and getting a Bontrager one instead.

vadido | 9 years ago
0 likes

I work on ANT+ software and the only issue you may have is the combined ANT+ Speed and Cadence sensor has a completely different protocol from the separate Speed and Cadence sensors.

Normally computers support both.

For example I recently bought a Rox 10 which makes no mention of supporting the combined S&C sensor in the documents/website but it does, I use it with the cheapo Decathlon sensor which is pretty reliable.

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

The ANT+ speed, cadence and combined speed/cadence profiles are well specified standards and should be supported by your Bryton and most sensors you're likely to meet, e.g. Garmin, Bryton, Bontrager.
FWIW I currently run a Bryton 35 with a bontrager combined speed/cadence sensor and it works absolutely fine.

Nat Jas Moe replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I thought that would be the case but wanted to check before splashing the cash and finding that I'd messed up in some way. Cheers for that.

Latest Comments