Looking for ride buddies near Congleton, Cheshire

by notfastenough   July 31, 2014  

Right, so following a previous thread talking about moving house and the surrounding terrain etc, it looks like Farrell was right (thanks!) and we're moving to just outside Congleton. It will be a while yet (I'm guessing October/November) until we actually move, but I note that Congleton CC meet up at 09:30 on a sunday, which is too late for me. I like to meet up for 8 and get back around 12 - this way my family and my cycling aren't competing for my time too much - is anyone else in the area, prefers the early start, and is up for riding together? I generally like to ride 50-60 miles with some good climbs over about 4 hours.

*Watches tumbleweed roll by*...

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Not my area I am afraid but I know the feeling. I can't join a cycling club as they all go too late and impinge on family life. I tend to ride early either with a few regulars or solo (better training that way anyway).
I don't know whether go sky ride is any use ?

posted by arfa [592 posts]
31st July 2014 - 18:52

109 Likes

Even if you go by yourself, Its a great area for riding. You have the lovely flat Cheshire and some of the best roads in a the Peak for riding around - Lamaload / Goyt Valley.

posted by dunnoh [189 posts]
31st July 2014 - 23:25

110 Likes

I'm looking forward to it. I'm currently in Manchester so usually get into the goyt etc or occasionally mow cop, which I can see from the new house! My favourite bit of the club run though is the mad dash back into Manchester. It's often race pace for the last 20-30 mins, and it's not the same on your own. Still, I'm cool with my own company, so let's see how it goes.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice...

posted by notfastenough [3591 posts]
31st July 2014 - 23:37

109 Likes

There is a ride from Congleton Cycle Centre at 9.00am Sundays, normally home for 12.00 to 12.30 covering 60 miles. (Depends who is out and time of year) It's a small fast group of local racers, often led by Mark Lovatt. It works for me, I've two young kids, so I get to spend the afternoon with them.

posted by Lfcquin [2 posts]
2nd August 2014 - 11:28

111 Likes

Lfcquin wrote:
There is a ride from Congleton Cycle Centre at 9.00am Sundays, normally home for 12.00 to 12.30 covering 60 miles. (Depends who is out and time of year) It's a small fast group of local racers, often led by Mark Lovatt. It works for me, I've two young kids, so I get to spend the afternoon with them.

Cool, sounds a bit quick for me currently, but I reckon I could work back up to that. I'll bear it in mind, thanks.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice...

posted by notfastenough [3591 posts]
5th August 2014 - 11:30

109 Likes