Home

I have never watched this race. Usually I'm taking a break from cycling, on holiday or whatever. Is it usually any good? I've had a look at the profiles and there seems to be one crazy stage (the penultimate one), another standard high mountain stage, an ITT and the rest largely flat-to-punchy.

Apart from the aforementioned crazy stage, I can't much that makes me think 'yeah, I'll try to catch a bit of that'. What is the atmosphere like? Should it be a WT race (the number of really good Polish riders at the moment suggest that maybe it should)?

Oh yeah, and when does it open!?  4

51 comments

thesaladdays [105 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

It is a World Tour race in fact, and as the only one in that part of Europe the locals turn out en mass and the atmosphere is definitely good!

It has a fairly long history, going back to 1928, but only went pro in the last 20 years or so. I think it doesn't get much attention on account of being squeezed between TdF and La Vuelta, with a lot of the bigger-name riders taking a break, but not all. Nevertheless, usually some good stages in the mix, definitely worth a watch, lots of nice scenery  4

First stage is this Sunday, usually Eurosport carries it.

For those interested:
http://tourdepologne.pl/en/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Pologne

simon F [1001 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

When's this going to open? It starts in two days.

dave atkinson [6223 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

it's open now. I've checked it over, but let me know if you spot anything wrong

0 likes

gkam doing this one? transfer deadlines bear no relation to the race start times.

sharpiesharpe [2 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

no Tinkoff?

Ghedebrav [1100 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Not sure all the Poland (the team, I mean) riders are present and correct.

Ghedebrav [1100 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

By the way, if anyone likes a flutter there are some very good valye odds going around for stage one. As far as I can see there are only five or six likely winners (barring a late crash or similar), one of whom - Matthews - I've backed at 22/1. Shortened now, but still at 18 if you're looking around. Plus there are a few other outside contenders for podium placings that could be backed at e/w very long odds (up to 150)

N.B. what you do with your money is your own call, I'm taking no responsibility!

ray silvester [1836 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I seem to remember watching it last season and the coverage was helicopter based....very difficult to see what was going on except at set vantage points.

JAndrewHill [1207 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Dave, how do I search for polish riders, not just those who ride for the POL team?

Joelsim [1975 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Jaruslav Dabrowski should be Konrad Dabkowski

0 likes

Shouldn't TSB be in the start list? 21 teams/8 riders should be 168 riders shouldn't it? or have I lost the ability to count correctly?

0 likes

Actually, even with all the filters wide open (all riders etc) I can't see any Tinkoff Saxo riders - does anyone know why?

stevemarks [470 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Same here with Tinkov no riders show in any of the lists.

andynic [70 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Including Majka who a few people may want to pick.

0 likes

At least it's not just me then  7

enrique [2341 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

What's wrong with a 150 budget for all races?...  7

TERatcliffe26 [4621 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Im gonna have a look once Ive just done the CSS scores.

If its anything I can't fix I will get onto Dave asap

JAndrewHill [1207 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

150 budget....not this year. you'll never get a full house in this stage race !

0 likes

Should be fixed, let me know if now

0 likes

The TSB riders are there now - cheers.

On a similar note, what does the "all riders" filter actually mean? There's about 2.5K riders in the rankings list, but only 557 if you set that filter in the TdP pick team screen. I assume some of the missing ones are women, but surely not 2000 of them .

0 likes
simon F wrote:

The TSB riders are there now - cheers.

On a similar note, what does the "all riders" filter actually mean? There's about 2.5K riders in the rankings list, but only 557 if you set that filter in the TdP pick team screen. I assume some of the missing ones are women, but surely not 2000 of them .

The missing ones are the riders for all the teams not taking part, ie Bardini, Cofidis etc and that value is so high as for races such as Algarve there are riders for local Portuguese teams in the database, as well as riders that race in international races such as World champs that don't have a trade team

Dux89 [194 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Saw a lot of cheap sprinters and got pretty excited but then I saw the budget. Wowzers. Tough decisions to be made here.

0 likes

Looks to me like the best TTer on the last stage will win this one unless one of the lesser TTers manages to take an awful lot of time on stage 5.

To my mind that leaves Cataldo, Izaguirre, Siutsou, De Gendt, Formolo and even Malori as the favourites.

0 likes

For me Cummings and Weening have decent shots. I think if Majka is up to it, his TTing has improved enough to win this. Izagirre/Capecchi will both go well, and De Gendt has a shot if he has his climbing legs, id say the same for Riblon but he has been out of sorts. Aru and Hesjedal could also do something

0 likes

Poels is my big tip though

0 likes

Maybe.

The summit finish only looks like 5% average for 12km, not totally sure there will be massive time gaps, and Majka will need to take some time there to protect himself on stage 7. Poels could go well for sure.

0 likes

Here's my team for the day. Hopefully few changes before the Queen stage. 9 sprinters.

Sacha Modolo (LAM)
Luka Mezgec (GSH)
Yauheni Hutarovich (ALM)
Marco Haller (KAT)
Theo Bos (BLK)
Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Fabio Silvestre (TFR)
Juan Jose Lobato (MOV)
Konrad Dabkowski (POL)

0 likes

And my Purist team. Ahem, 9 sprinters.

Luka Mezgec (GSH)
Tyler Farrar (GRS)
Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Fabio Silvestre (TFR)
Konrad Dabkowski (POL)
Theo Bos (BLK)
Marco Haller (KAT)
Jacopo Guarnieri (AST)
Juan Jose Lobato (MOV)

0 likes

Similar from me for standard

Modolo
Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matthews
Gatto
Silvestre
Matysiak
Vakoc

Much bigger difference for purist

Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matysiak
Majka
Capecchi
Poels
Zakarin
Hansen

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Similar from me for standard

Modolo
Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matthews
Gatto
Silvestre
Matysiak
Vakoc

Much bigger difference for purist

Mezgec
Lobato
Bos
Matysiak
Majka
Capecchi
Poels
Zakarin
Hansen

I think Cannondale said Boivin was their sprinter for this race.

Let's hope so  21

Pages