Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

No bottle mounts

Help! There's probably an easy solution that I haven't thought of, but how can I attach a bottle cage to my lovely old 1982 Peugeot roadie that has no braze on mounts. I don't want to drill the frame if at all possible, so can you attach a cage without making holes?

Thanks in advance, Morgan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dragging up another old thread but I came across this little item this morning and was quite impressed by it:

http://cyclr.com/journal/2014/08/18/preview-porta-bottiglia-bottle-holder/

A tad more expensive that the other options but if you have a couple of bikes without cage mount, or you want to be able to switch your water bottle from your bike to your bag it could be useful.

Morgan700cc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Update: I have ties, bottle and cage now. Setting them up tomorrow, then off for a ride! Thanks for all the help folks!

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sometimes it's possible to re-tighten a loose insert by threading a bolt (plus washer) into the insert without the cage being present, and then doing something to arrest the rotation of the insert, jamming a screwdriver under the washer as you tighten, so the insert is pulled upwards against the inside of the tube and crushed a bit more by tightening the bolt. If it's too far gone it may be a lost cause.

paulrbarnard replied to Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes
Derny wrote:

Sometimes it's possible to re-tighten a loose insert by threading a bolt (plus washer) into the insert without the cage being present, and then doing something to arrest the rotation of the insert, jamming a screwdriver under the washer as you tighten, so the insert is pulled upwards against the inside of the tube and crushed a bit more by tightening the bolt. If it's too far gone it may be a lost cause.

drop of super glue on the outside of the insert (don't put the bolt in!!). Glue will wick in and give enough grip to re clench the insert with a bolt. Much better than trying to jimmy it with a screw driver or other scratchy thing

bigshape replied to paulrbarnard | 9 years ago
0 likes
paulrbarnard wrote:

drop of super glue on the outside of the insert (don't put the bolt in!!). Glue will wick in and give enough grip to re clench the insert with a bolt. Much better than trying to jimmy it with a screw driver or other scratchy thing

cheers for the suggestion, but unfortunately i think the inserts are cross threaded as well (judging on when i managed to remove the old bolts...) so even if i did manage to glue them back in place they'd still be useless...

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes
Derny wrote:

If you don't like the look of the cage clamps, a better fix is available by drilling out the faulty threads and replacing it with a "rivnut" (a.k.a. "nutsert")

i was going to do this, but the current threaded inserts are loose in the frame, and i think they'd just spin in place if i tried to drill them out...

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you don't like the look of the cage clamps, a better fix is available by drilling out the faulty threads and replacing it with a "rivnut" (a.k.a. "nutsert"). It's essentially the same way manufacturers put threaded inserts in aluminum frames. When I worked in bikes shops 25 years ago this was a pretty common repair on aluminium frames, usually due to over-tightening. At the time there was not much rigor around following torque specs, and small torque wrenches for home users were not generally available, thus the old saw: "tighten 'til it strips, then back off a quarter turn".

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

just strapped a couple of the halfwits ones on my allez (with ruined bottle mounts thanks to previous owner...)
they look a bit poop (straps around the tube) but should do the job.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got mine from Halfords (although they may be available elsewhere):
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/water-bottles-hydration-pack...

They're cheap and have worked really well for me.

Morgan700cc replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Farrell! I popped in this morning and got some. Setting up on the morrow for another ride.

Morgan700cc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant! Thanks for all your help and suggestions chaps. Will be whizzing past my local bike shop/Halfords later today. I'd like to get my bike back to an older, more traditional set up, so these are great tips.

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

These are the bottle cage clamps which would be traditional for your bike:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/water-bottles-cages/b...

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the tacx thing that attaches to the saddle rails and takes 2 holders, bottles tend to fly out, but I have specially modified carbon ones with elastic that solves that.

They take a battering with rough roads, 750ml bottles and skinny tyres, if you do this, (they're cheap) buy 2 as the joint can snap after 18 months or so.

I've tried alternatives, tacx is the best and keeps a vintage frame 'real' as the classic guys had the bottles on the bars.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

Zefal's Gizmo is worth looking at too

bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've used one of these on my slightly knackered local runaround. I think I actually found it in TK Maxx for a pound or two! The clamp works well compared to zip ties, but mind the paintwork (use a bit of inner tube or something).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Wave-Universal-Release-Drinks-Bottle/dp/B0015U...

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Halfords do bottle cage strips which are like zip ties to which you can attach a cage.

Latest Comments