Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra 6800 group set on Domane 4.3?

I see that Evans Cycles are doing group sets at a big discount, and have the Ultegra 6800 for what seems a very reasonable price (not sure if it's forum etiquette to say how much!) I have a Domane 4.3 with 'came in the box' Bontrager aluminium wheels. I think everything should fit ok, but the cassette I believe is 11 speed and my current one is the Tiagra 10 speed. Will I be able to fit the 11 speed onto my existing wheels or will I need to upgrade those at the same time? And for a bonus question, will the chainset fit into the existing BB90 bottom bracket, or will I need something else to support it?

Cheers folks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think Ribble have the gruppo even cheaper

Cannondale123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've recently upgraded from a tiagra to an Ultegra 6800. Very very nice. If you are going for the complete groupset then makesure your hubs can take the 11 speed cassette.

Check out Probikekit, which is where I got mine from.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having looked at the deals I'm very tempted to upgrade. I'm currently running 105 5750 but am torn between Ultegra or Dura Ace. I know upgrading to Ultegra will be a noticeable upgrade, but what about the jump from Ultegra to Dura Ace? Will I be buying the name and snob factor or is it a genuine value upgrade.

Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra 6800 is staggeringly good... I was determined to jump to Campag with my new bike, for the heritage, quality, all the 'normal' reasons... but the Bianchi Sempre groupset choice was 105 (which I wanted to upgrade from), Veloce (and my heart was set on Chorus or Athena) or 11-speed Ultegra, and ultimately it was the finances that swung my decision to stay with Shimano. If you're riding 2013 105 or similar, then you'll be blown away with how slick the new Ultegra groupset feels in comparison. It may not be Campag, but it's nigh on impossible to find anything to complain about (a way of adjusting the lever-reach without resorting to shims would be nice).

fukawitribe replied to Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mombee wrote:

It may not be Campag, but it's nigh on impossible to find anything to complain about (a way of adjusting the lever-reach without resorting to shims would be nice).

Lever reach should be settable with just an Allen key (that's what I did with my 6800s using the Shimano docs). Don't have the link to hand but it's on their website under the SL-6800 product menu. I could of course have completely misunderstood what you meant  1

bollandinho | 9 years ago
0 likes

Evans are very good at price matching, so if you point out to them that Chain Reaction is cheaper you can get it for the same price and in your hands that day. I've found that very handy in the past.

Also, I have Ultegra 6800 on my road bike and it's amazing. I definitely recommend it.

0 likes

You've got me plotting now. Ultegra is a few quid cheaper at Chain Reaction.  3

Skybird replied to Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leeroy_Silk wrote:

You've got me plotting now. Ultegra is a few quid cheaper at Chain Reaction.  3

Hmm, really! Even better. Thanks for all replies, will check spacer first.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

My mate has a 4.3, ( I think, it's an alloy frame with 105) the wheels are shite, they were swapped first, Ultegra will come later.

Wheels were heavy and bearing gubbed after 18 months, so were relegated to winter use.

0 likes

I'm not sure about forum etiquette but you gave enough away to certainly find the deal in less than a minute!
It's unlikely your cassette will support an 11 speed but there is a way to check. Remove your cassette and check if there's a spacer between the largest cog and the cassette body, if there's a spacer you might be in luck. No spacer you're probably looking at a new wheel too.

Latest Comments