Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The London Cycle Workshop - Clapham - London

Hi guys, anyone in Clapham area use TLCW? I've just discovered them and so far it's been a great experience. I'd had a couple of bad experiences with Evans in Clapham - They gave me my bike back from a service without the bars and wheel being straight and then they told me to bring my bike in for a service another time and then couldn't take it when I did because of space! So I looked online and found these guys.

Dropped my bike in yesterday evening. Got a puncture on the way about a 20 minute walk away, they closed in 15 minutes. I called them and they said they would wait for me. I jogged and got there on time, they looked my bike over, told me it didn't need a full service so would just do a basic (very honest!) and listened to my gripes and told me they would have a look at what they could do. They then gave me a courtesy bike so I didn't have to walk home and could still ride to work this morning. Anyway, they called me at 10:30am this morning to say it was ready... I dropped it in at 7pm last night. Impressive.

I'm picking it up tonight so will update this after a ride but thought I'd put it out there that so far, these guys seem good. It's that tricky situation between not wanting to tell anyone but also knowing that your LBS needs customers to keep going.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice one - cheers  1

I just took the Evans service because it was free with the purchase. Most of the stuff I could have done myself. I don't know how they've managed to screw up the lever so badly though.

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

I might check these guys out. I had my bike in for a service at Evans a few weeks back and (predictably) it came back with more problems than it went in with. It's going back in this weekend.

How are they cost-wise?

MarcMyWords replied to bamilton wackademical | 9 years ago
0 likes
bamilton wackademical wrote:

I might check these guys out. I had my bike in for a service at Evans a few weeks back and (predictably) it came back with more problems than it went in with. It's going back in this weekend.

How are they cost-wise?

They're very reasonable. Had a basic service (the bike was in good condition anyway) and a new inner tube and they tweaked a couple of bits for me. Came to £41 then I got the £5 off for arriving to pick up on time so overall it was £36. You'll find their workshop prices on their website:

http://www.thelondoncycleworkshop.co.uk/index.php/workshop/

Highly recommend them, give Evans the boot!

adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah they've been brilliant whenever I've used them. Drop the bike off on the way to work and finish the journey off with one of their courtesy bikes.

Service turn around has been within the day when I've used it.

It's cheap and quick and the guys in there know their stuff. Best bike shop in the area I've found.

MarcMyWords replied to adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes
adamtaylor wrote:

Yeah they've been brilliant whenever I've used them. Drop the bike off on the way to work and finish the journey off with one of their courtesy bikes.

Service turn around has been within the day when I've used it.

It's cheap and quick and the guys in there know their stuff. Best bike shop in the area I've found.

Yep, agreed. I picked my bike up from them the day after I'd dropped it in for the service, they'd changed the inner tube for me, had a fiddle with the handlebars (which I'd asked them to do), given it a clean, it was spot on. They then gave me a £5 discount for picking up on time?! Standard apparently! The courtesy bike was great for me as I live a good 20-30 minute walk from the shop and that's one of the main things that's always annoyed me about having to drop my bike in for a service. Really liked them in there, my new LBS.

gr3g0ree | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a clear TLCW bottle from them  1 'emergency' inner tube and a brake cable. I just do service and repairs myself if I can.
They were super busy a few days before the TDF Grand Depart with bikes and bikeboxes all over. I can recommend either them or Stratton cycles, by exp and the closest ones too.

Latest Comments