Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride London 100 - too little too late?

So first of all hello, this is my first post on here.

I am here looking for moral support or a slap round the face or someone to say your crazy.

Here is the thing, Last summer I really got into cycling. I have always loved it and have commuted a few days a week on a bike for several years in London. Last year I was commuting 22 miles a day 2-3 days a week with a weekend ride and I did my first sportive (London to Cambridge). I was overweight but losing the pounds and as fit as I have been in my 30s - I am 38 now. Winter came, then I reduced my cycling (to a complete stop by January). Then I got a new job in March, new office has no bike room or shower and I was travelling abroad a hell of a lot in the first 3 months. Anyway you can guess what has happened I got fatter and lost fitness.

This was all with the backdrop of having got a ballot place in the Ride London 100 next week.

5 weeks ago my travel eased off and I panicked so I joined a gym, got a personal trainer 3 times a week and went for my first ride since april this weekend (20miles). I have lost a couple of Kilos in that time and plan do commute in on my bike tomorrow (22miles plus an extra 10 on the way home) and a long ride this weekend 40 - 50 miles.

I really want to do the ride, so practical question. How bad is it going to be and is it too little too late? I know the answer but think I can still make it, I should add my longest ride ever was just over 70 mile last summer when I was fit and I was fine with that.

I allowed work circumstances and poor willpower take control so very disappointed with myself. Anyway, anecdotes, advice and constructive comments welcome and gratefully received.

Thx

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

50 comments

glynr36 replied to djtheot | 9 years ago
0 likes
djtheot wrote:

Any recommendations for the day? Fast with some puncture resistance?

Stuff puncture resistance, get some Vittoria Open Corsa (SC or CX).
They fly, corner brilliantly, not punctured any of the sets I've had yet.

allezrider replied to djtheot | 9 years ago
0 likes
djtheot wrote:

Also I should add this forum is pretty great, its nice to get the positive comments. Was convinced most would say your mad!

We might be thinking that....  3 .

crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Thanks all, totally going to do it. Quick questions on tyres, I am running Gator Hardskins (I have Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheel set but have kept getting punctures on their stock tyres). Obviously the hard skins are wonderful for puncture resistances but I definitely notice the ride is harsher with the Conti's. Any recommendations for the day? Fast with some puncture resistance?

If you are going to change anything on the bike do it NOW and get a ride or two in at the weekend. That'll give you time to get used to it.

11pm Saturday night before the ride is not the time to discover that your new tyres are so tight you need a 2ft tyre lever to get them off or that the ride on them is so harsh you rattle all your teeth out!

Same with clothing, contact points etc. Don't go out and buy it now, it's too late.

And a suggestion re the tyres - go for 25mm, they'll be nice and comfy. I really like Schwalbe Durano tyres, they're fast rolling but have good puncture protection.

realdeal | 9 years ago
0 likes

You've had one or two bike rides since April, that's how well you're going to go. Unfortunately the shape you're in now will be what you start with. Try to resist doing too much this week, you should really be tapering from about 10 days out, not doing more.

What I don't understand is the personal trainer thing... didn't they come up with a training plan for you and why didn't this involve riding a bike?

On the plus side I'm fairly sure you're going up one of the easier roads on Leith Hill and Newlands Corner and Box Hill are nothing to worry about either.

Your tyres.. Why risk it? If you're carrying a bit of timber then probably best to go for something on the more robust side and make sure your pressures are right. I live in the Surrey Hills and the lanes around here are always covered in that nasty sharp gravel. Leith Hill is particularly good for flint chippings as well.

Just enjoy it for what it is.. a bike ride with lots of other people, some will be quicker, some will be slower!

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

A shortage of riding may mean you don't get round as quickly, but don't be put off. Lots of people commit to do stuff like this without putting enough time in.

My suggestions: don't start too fast, hide in the wheels and shelter. Drink and eat little & often (but don't overdo it, you're not riding the Tour de France), stop for a break if you feel the need and, most of all savour the experience.

Even if for some reason you don't get round, always remember it's better to try and fail then never to have tried at all.

Finally, a quote that resonates with me is by Ken Chlouber, organiser of the Leadville 100 mile MTB event:

You're better than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can.

So true!  16

Go for it, and enjoy the day.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

JUST DO IT

Leviathan replied to allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes
allezrider wrote:

Don't worry about the climbs - you can get off and walk if needs be.

You can't walk up the climbs; it is not allowed.

Maggers replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure how tongue in cheek this is comment is but there was more than a fare share walking up Leith Hill last year. I reckon if you take on a bit of fuel on the stretch between Newlands corner and Abinger Hammer it'll have sunk in enough before you hit the climb.

+1 for the extra speed you get on closed roads and cycling in a pack. You'll gain an extra couple of mph just from that. If you can share the load out on the fast roads to Newlands corner into the headwind then the rest is pretty much a tail wind.

Wimbledon hill really caught people out last year. A lot of cursing from the people riding around me.

As has been said enjoy it. Don't go flying off the start. Absorb the fact you're riding through the middle of London which is lovely and flat and devoid of cars for a change.

mickcee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Im a bit worried too, started cycling last year and took on my first sportive last August - 70 miles which was a shock to the system to an overweight bloke like myself. I am actually heavier now but a year on considerably more experienced after 6 sportive's this year of various lengths and a member of a cycle club too. Even though I am in the slow group in the club which has been renamed the steady group as we have upped our average within group work from 14 to 18 mph this year.

My question is the talk of drafting is fine but finding a group where you can sort of take your time but still get to the front and take your turn? I don't particularly want to sit on the back of strangers letting them do the work.

So to those who did it last year, I obviously put a time down (6hrs 30 mins) which will put me in a starting group with others of similar ability so I am not trying to hang onto the back of people who are going to rip my legs to bits?

To the original poster. what group you in etc?

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Isnt it mostly flat, there arent any hills down that neck of the woods. If Boris can do it...

freespirit1 replied to Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leodis wrote:

Isnt it mostly flat, there arent any hills down that neck of the woods. If Boris can do it...

Why is the area between Clandon and Dorking/Leith Hill called Surrey Hills then?

Box Hill must need it's name changing soon too!

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pace yourself and you'll get round OK.

I did my first and only century last year (a charity ride). As there were two food/drink stops I just treated it as 3 x 30 odd mile efforts and had a little break at each stop. It seemed much easier to get my head round that way having done 45-50 mile efforts when training.

chivers67 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm also doing this though so far this year I've done 2,000 miles of training and 57,000 feet+ of ascending. Leith is the hardest of the three bigger hills, as long as you take them steady and not try to go up them like a pro I think you'll be ok. Psychology pays a big factor concentrate on a few feet ahead of you not 100 meters, I try to save a gear for the final ascent along with getting out the saddle for a final push if need be and have it in the back of your mind on the way up three lovely descents await! I'm taking plenty of Gels, salted nuts & Carbs along two water bottles with High5 electrolyte mix inside as well.

Enjoy it!

O and i'm 47  4

allezrider replied to chivers67 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chivers67 wrote:

I'm also doing this though so far this year I've done 2,000 miles of training and 57,000 feet+ of ascending.  4

Let's not start a bragging war on how much or how little training we've done - though for my 2ps worth I did 1100 miles in July last year for the Ride London (mainly because I hadn't done enough in the months before)  3

chivers67 replied to allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes
allezrider wrote:
chivers67 wrote:

I'm also doing this though so far this year I've done 2,000 miles of training and 57,000 feet+ of ascending.

Let's not start a bragging war on how much or how little training we've done - though for my 2ps worth I did 1100 miles in July last year for the Ride London (mainly because I hadn't done enough in the months before)  3

hmm bit of mis-quoting there, my smilie was after my age not my training stats  4

freespirit1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyway here's some info for those using rail to spectate;

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/RideLondon2014.aspx

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

So, last big ride for me today before the event... 86km done and dusted and I feel relatively human. It was going to be 105km but the headwind on the way back killed me, so I trimmed it. Not worried about that next week though - I'll draft people, and the headwind will be on the first half so as soon as we turn back toward London it'll be tailwind all the way.

crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes

@djtheot: how did you get on then?

realdeal replied to crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe he's still riding!

mickcee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think I was trained well enough but it was brilliant and easily the best challenge (because of the weather) I have ever taking part in.

I will need to come back and complete the full ride. I never got in the ballet 2 years in a row so took a charity place this year and just scraped the target. I am not a proactive person when it comes to asking people for sponsorship and been on Facebook doesn't help! I think my wife and parents post's helped more then me asking around!!!!

So hopefully 3rd year lucky this year....I loved it!

Pages

Latest Comments