Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slowest of slow punctures?

For around a month now my front tyre has been deflating, but not fast enough to affect my riding in any way. Can do four hour rides with no noticeable change in tyre pressure.
When I go to get my bike out the next day, the rear tyre is still up at 100psi, yet the front is down at 20psi.
Any ideas? On removing the tube I couldn't find any puncture.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

andycoventry | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pump it up and stick it in a bath full of water to find where the air is coming from.

Flying Scot replied to andycoventry | 9 years ago
0 likes
andycoventry wrote:

Pump it up and stick it in a bath full of water to find where the air is coming from.

I had assumed he had already done this!

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

My turbo tyre does that - not sure if there's a turbo specific tube or something? Just took a tube out of a second hand wheel that was deflating in a similar way and the tube said 'turbo' on it too. Weird.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

2 quid, fit a new tube, probably the valve passing at high pressure, holds at low pressure.

meach replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

2 quid, fit a new tube, probably the valve passing at high pressure, holds at low pressure.

replaced the tube when i took it out to inspect this week, just wanted to know what the issue was and if it was fixable

Simon E replied to meach | 9 years ago
0 likes
meach wrote:

replaced the tube when i took it out to inspect this week, just wanted to know what the issue was and if it was fixable

There's probably a very, very, VERY tiny hole in it.

I fixed a puncture in my wife's rear tyre, checked it, all seemed fine. Still hard after an hour, close to flat after a day. CBA, it's an old, cheap 26" tube so I stuck a spare on instead.

It may be repairable but is it worth the effort? Keep it as a toolbox spare or something.

Latest Comments