Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

So why do cyclists get a bad name?

I haven't cycled into central London to work for many years now but often have to drive in and out. Yes, there's bad driving and riding on both sides, but to give an idea of why so many have a downer on cyclists, here are my observations from just one short leg of a journey in this afternoons rush hour.

At cyclist coming towards me from opposite side of a crossroads who was chatting on a mobile phone, makes a left and all the way to the next lights and who knows where one handed still chatting.

A minute later, I overtake a lady well in front of red light cross roads. She rolls up my inside through the stop line, sees that the traffic crossing us is stationary, then swings a left straight through the pedestrians crossing on the green man.

A mile down the road, ladies ambling two abreast swinging out past stationary vehicles etc with not a look or signal or a care in the world. Only went to single file to get up the inside of queuing traffic before resuming two abreast in font of said vehicles.

Within another mile, three kids (teenage at a guess), all on one bike riding on the wrong side the road against the traffic (as in opposite kerb).

Why post? Admittedly they may have been 'fair weather' non-commuting cyclists this afternoon, but they were a let down. I see enough bad with the commuters too to understand both sides of the argument.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

69 comments

HKCambridge replied to Saturday | 9 years ago
0 likes
Saturday wrote:

The actions of the people mentioned would be bad regardless of what they were on but it's more polarised as unlike driving anyone can get on a bike and ride.

I think you're missing the word 'legally' there. Estimates for numbers of unlicensed, banned, uninsured drivers on the road is actually quite frightening.

That is also assuming that having a license is a badge of quality. I have my doubts.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

One point that is often ignored is that many traffic lights are for controlling traffic so that certain roads and junctions don't get blocked by motor vehicles.

So, in these cases, what difference does it make if bikes go through on red?

If there was a bike lane, how is that any different to someone walking down the pavement?

truffy replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

many cyclists/pedestrians have not had the luxury of this schooling.... you could look at it like this... when a cyclist is being an idiot, at least he has the excuse of ignorance,

Everyone took the cycle proficiency when I was at primary school. And that was 40 years ago. Perhaps times have changed.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

many cyclists/pedestrians have not had the luxury of this schooling.... you could look at it like this... when a cyclist is being an idiot, at least he has the excuse of ignorance,

Everyone took the cycle proficiency when I was at primary school. And that was 40 years ago. Perhaps times have changed.

I suggest it may have at least as much to do with _where_ your school was as what era it was.

Bikebikebike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a cyclist and your post here is giving me a bad name. In no way do I want to be associated with your judgemental twattery.

Matt eaton replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 9 years ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:
truffy wrote:
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I suggest it may have at least as much to do with _where_ your school was as what era it was.

I think times have changed. Cycling proficiency no longer exists and Bikeability does not seem to have been universally adopted by schools in the way that cycling proficency once was. Some schools actively discourage cycling these days (on safety grounds) or dictate to pupils who choose to ride to school on matters such as high-viz and helmets (although I can't understand how they enforce such rules).

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cyclists get a bad name because its socially acceptable. Most car drivers think they are the best drivers in the world. A lot of Cyclists think they are beyond reproach. A lot of really poor car drivers are now in the 'Pro-Peloton' at the weekends.

All I can say is that I ride everyday of the week, 48 weeks a year. Sometimes I ride way too quick for the conditions and I have to reign myself in. But I never run lights, I always thank drivers for waiting and I'm getting better at not chasing down poor drivers and threatening to beat them senseless - I prefer just to keep my head down now.

I think better training all round is the answer. Car drivers should be tested more regularly and Cyclists should do some kind of CBT and defensive riding instruction.

Matt eaton replied to dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

Cyclists get a bad name because its socially acceptable. Most car drivers think they are the best drivers in the world. A lot of Cyclists think they are beyond reproach. A lot of really poor car drivers are now in the 'Pro-Peloton' at the weekends.

All I can say is that I ride everyday of the week, 48 weeks a year. Sometimes I ride way too quick for the conditions and I have to reign myself in. But I never run lights, I always thank drivers for waiting and I'm getting better at not chasing down poor drivers and threatening to beat them senseless - I prefer just to keep my head down now.

I think better training all round is the answer. Car drivers should be tested more regularly and Cyclists should do some kind of CBT and defensive riding instruction.

I've given up trying to reason with poor drivers too; it achieves nothing other than putting you in a bad mood. I've also given up reporting dangerous drivers to the police; they just seem totally disinterested.

I agree with you on the need for better training but I disagree that there should be compulsary training for cyclists. The world would be a better place if more people cycled (even if they cycled poorly) and we need to removed barriers to cycling rather than introduce them.

md6 replied to dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

This!

absolutely agree. How is it acceptable that someone could do a test once, at 17 and then never be checked again until they are 65+. Personally I think retests every 10 would be sensible - given that's how long your photocard driving licence last before you need to renew it why not test people at that time???

Pages

Latest Comments