Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Virus Warning from Avast

I use Avast antivirus and I got these messages when I visited the Forum pages, specifically the Tour de France Stage 21 thread just a few moments ago.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use a Mac - no problem here!!  24

Sorry I'll get my coat.

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

More details...  45

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm seeing these today when I visit the Forum pages...  45

steviewevie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use Avast and I'm not seeing any problem.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

anyone still seeing these?

charlie_elise | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been getting 'You've just won an iPad' messages recently when viewing posts using Chrome on my Android. I dislike these pop ups, but assumed if I close the box, everything will be ok. Related?

Also, I've still not received my iPad.  39

d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you get any pop ups saying "click here to remove a virus" (like that shown by Lbowron) - don't do it! Close your browser (or restart your device if necessary) and it would probably be worth running an Anti-Virus (AV) scan afterwards (including on phones). There are some AV products that will scan iOS (Apple) and Android devices, some AV products/companies to look at would be (that I am aware of, but have not necessarily used - there are others):

AVG
Kaspersky
BitDefender
Sophos
McAfee
Norton
Avast
ClamAV
Panda

Joelsim replied to d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes
d_jp wrote:

If you get any pop ups saying "click here to remove a virus" (like that shown by Lbowron) - don't do it! Close your browser (or restart your device if necessary) and it would probably be worth running an Anti-Virus (AV) scan afterwards (including on phones). There are some AV products that will scan iOS (Apple) and Android devices, some AV products/companies to look at would be (that I am aware of, but have not necessarily used - there are others):

AVG
Kaspersky
BitDefender
Sophos
McAfee
Norton
Avast
ClamAV
Panda

Never heard of any of those riders.

0 likes

looks like it is a problem with our ad serving guys, they tell me they were hit by a malware attack. I'll keep you posted on what i know.

Lbowron | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had this pop up three times this morning

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Was having the same problem on mobile

STEVESPRO 79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same here with the Java goings on....

0 likes

Yup, i am doing

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Right, it's just happened another 4 times. It doesn't happen on any other site.

Can someone have a look at this please?

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

And again, even though I just try to close the boxes!

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Right, that's twice in the last 10 minutes that this forum has started downloading a Java update from Oracle without me asking for it, sending a set-up.exe file to my downloads.

This appears to be very dodgy.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just had a dodgy Java download start whilst browsing this forum. Now running a scan.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried using a different AV scanner?

Seriously, this sound like some of the stuff that comes up when the freeware's trying to get you to pony up to the paid-for version.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

System scan coming up. This is exactly teh same as I got about a month ago.

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yet another, slightly different, warning from the Tour of Poland Stage 2 thread...  39 And the forum is still requiring 'Subjects' and offering to post only through the 'Preview' process....

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a link offer to update my Flash off this site today when I logged out and logged back in again

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Today I got this warning while viewing the Poland Stage 2 thread...

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get an ad blocker for your browser (but don't tell the crew who run this site...  3 )

enrique replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

Get an ad blocker for your browser...

What works for you?...  39

Him Up North replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Him Up North wrote:

Get an ad blocker for your browser...

What works for you?...  39

For IE I use Ad Block Plus. There's a better one for Chrome and Safari browsers simply called AdBlock (not related to ABP).

And download Malwarebytes to scan your computer if you haven't done so already.

enrique replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

... use Ad Block Plus.... download Malwarebytes to scan your computer...

Very happy with both (!) Thanks!  1

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a virus warning the other day from this forum too. Using Chrome. It was picked up by McAfee.

d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes

I reckon that the most likely cause is that there was a link inside one of the adverts from (one of?) the firms supplying advertising to road.cc (it's happened on various websites previously, including larger ones than road.cc). This link would have been pointing to the location of the malware, which is likely why most people did not see it as it will probably only come up once in a while, and also the firm may now have spotted the issue and had the offending link removed.

Looks like Avast is doing it's job for you!  1

Hope that helps!

PS, had a quick look and from what I can tell about this malware it's not specific to IE (but it is to Windows).

enrique replied to d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes
d_jp wrote:

... had a quick look and from what I can tell about this malware it's not specific to IE (but it is to Windows).

That's interesting... how did you find out?...  39

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use Mozilla Firefox with AVG, no issues for me  103

Pages

Latest Comments