Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which stem please

I hope someone can help guide me through the mind numbing options on stems. I have a Scott R3 Addict, upgraded to DuraAce and with ROL Race SL clinchers which has made it a nice light, quick bike. However the 110mm stem is too long and I need a 90mm. The current stem is Scotts own that came with the bike but I just cannot find anyone who supplies them as replacements. Can anyone please help? Alternatively can anyone advise another manufacturer......needs to be black, 90mm, same spec as Scott hopefully, weigh 136g or less (the one I have is 136g) and not require an increase in my credit card limit  21 Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Chickenlegs | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all your input people.......really helpful, I'm goin to go with the 3T ARX Team or 3T ARX ll Team. Its the same spec as my current Scott Road Pilot Pro but actually lighter. I'd prefer all black with white lettering but hey I'll live with the red stripe  1 Cheers all.

rnarito | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the 3T ARX ll Team stem with the Ergonova Team handlebars and they are the best stem/bar combo that I own. The bend of the handlebars are great (including the diameter of the bars when riding on the tops) and the stem is stiff enough to handle the job. Highly recommended!

pcaley | 9 years ago
0 likes

Try a BBB Ultraforce which is listed at 129g. I bought one from my LBS for £30 and it is fine. You could probably get one cheaper on-line. I guess you could swap your Scott face plate onto it as well.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet-X ones aren't bad. You'll need a 1 1/8" stem with, presumably, a 31.8mm bar clamp. The choice is indeed endless, and for some reason you can pay over 200 quid for a stem if you're so inclined.

Chickenlegs replied to bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Definitely NOT inclined to pay over £200 !!!!  13

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

For the Scott stem, ask a Scott dealer.

Since your bike is Shimano-equipped, and you seem to want the stem to match the bike, you might consider the Shimano PRO PLT carbon road stem. It's relatively inexpensive and in the weight range you're talking about.

Chickenlegs replied to Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks had a look at this but its a composite stem and these don't perform too well in the Fair Wheels stem test 2014. Have checked out Scott Dealers but strangely they don't stock many Scott components.......more into accessories.
3T Arx Team Alloy Road Stem is the one that my own research has landed on if anyone can comment on this item?
Thanks for your help

Derny replied to Chickenlegs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Chickenlegs wrote:

Thanks had a look at this but its a composite stem and these don't perform too well in the Fair Wheels stem test 2014.

They make the same stem in alloy (I have used both). In fact the carbon stem I have was sent by mistake when I ordered another alloy one through the mail.

Quote:

Have checked out Scott Dealers but strangely they don't stock many Scott components.......more into accessories.

Probably a special order.

Quote:

3T Arx Team Alloy Road Stem is the one that my own research has landed on if anyone can comment on this item?

Yes I have that stem on my other bike, with the 3T Ergo Team handlebars. I like a stem with a 4-bolt clamp, and picked the 3T mostly for price. I don't think expensive stems are really better than the mid-priced ones.

You can see both of those stems installed, on the "pictures of your bike" thread on this forum, where I posted pictures of my Land Shark (PRO carbon stem) and Bridgestone (3T ARX).

Latest Comments