Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is the King of the Mountains an also-ran?

The King of the Mountains is the best climber in the Tour, right? This year I have had zero interest in who is in the polka dot jersey because the best climber is in yellow, its Nibali. He has won 4 stages but isn't winning this competition. It is pretty clear what the criteria for the yellow and white jerseys are. The Green jersey is said to be a sprinters jersey, though in reality it is for the most consistent finisher. Peter Sagan has evinced the spirit of this jersey by finish in the top 5 in the first week on sprints, climbs and pavé.

Meanwhile the KOM jersey passes hands between some breakaway riders, until we get to the high mountains where all the real points are. Then it comes down to who is low enough down on the GC to be not a threat. Yellow will attack if a mountain breakaway is considered a GC threat, so lower order riders are allowed to just scoop up points until the last climb which turns into a GC bunfight. The KOM jersey passes hands up the field until it gets to about 3/4/5/6th then stalls. I don't see how yellow dictating who can breakaway and who is reigned in makes it a prize to be cherished. As far as I am concerned the KOM is nearly always the yellow jersey (apart from 2012 when you-know-who took most of his time on the TTs.)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

brockhurst5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think it's worth noting that Nibali was second in the KoM, given that he was going for overall his main worry was getting the mountain top finishes in front of his closest rivals. If someone was two bike lengths in front of him going over a 10km climb 30km from finish wouldn't worry him.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nope, it along with team and sprint prizes add an extra dimension to the tactics and also gives most teams something to go for instead of the yellow jersey. How dull would flat stages be if every team saved itself for the mountain stages?

miro_o | 9 years ago
0 likes

No. The KOM jersey helps animate the race and is an amazing addition to any rider's palmares. At this level there are no 'also-rans'.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

I see what you're getting at, but I feel this is a sign of the times. The fact is, most of the time gains are to be made when you can split the peloton, ergo in the mountains. Yellow should in theory go to the best all-rounder. but in reality, sprints don't come into it, and aggressiveness only to a certain extent. I suppose this year was a bit more 'all-round' than usual, due to the inclusion of cobbles. Personally, I'd love to (be good enough to!) wear a polka-dot jersey, even for a day.

I don't Wiggo is Lord Voldemort though! Also, he did climb well (if not explosively), and it could be argued that he showed himself to be an excellent all-rounder. He even led out Cav (not that this affected GC).

Billj | 9 years ago
0 likes

I can't remember which race it was but I'm sure I read that there was one trialling timed climb segments for its KOM title. So a bit stravaesque with whoever sets the shortest times (regardless of whether first or last over line) picking up the points.

I like it as would seem to reward best/fastest climber. Would need to combine with some sort of breakaway jersey to ensure the race was animated but would work better than the Giro's 'Energy Prize' for best time over last 3k which on sprint days effectively just awarded the sprinter with the poorest positioning.

DrJDog replied to Billj | 9 years ago
0 likes
Billj wrote:

I can't remember which race it was but I'm sure I read that there was one trialling timed climb segments for its KOM title. So a bit stravaesque with whoever sets the shortest times (regardless of whether first or last over line) picking up the points.

I like it as would seem to reward best/fastest climber. Would need to combine with some sort of breakaway jersey to ensure the race was animated but would work better than the Giro's 'Energy Prize' for best time over last 3k which on sprint days effectively just awarded the sprinter with the poorest positioning.

I had this exact thought the other day. Much better, in my opinion, and definitely do-able with modern timing technologies. Probably very difficult to do 30 years ago..

HKCambridge replied to DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes
DrJDog wrote:
Billj wrote:

I had this exact thought the other day. Much better, in my opinion, and definitely do-able with modern timing technologies. Probably very difficult to do 30 years ago..

Doesn't really work for spectators, though. Instinctively more satisfying to watch someone going over the top of the climb and knowing they took the points, than waiting until everyone is through, and then finding out someone in the middle of the group somewhere was the winner.

Billj replied to HKCambridge | 9 years ago
0 likes
HKCambridge wrote:
DrJDog wrote:
Billj wrote:

Doesn't really work for spectators, though. Instinctively more satisfying to watch someone going over the top of the climb and knowing they took the points, than waiting until everyone is through, and then finding out someone in the middle of the group somewhere was the winner.

Not sure spectators are really that worried about the points, don't think the thousands on buttertubs were there just to see whether Jensie could pick up the 2 points. In fact could work better for spectators on climbs, as unless late in the race often the peleton just rides tempo up the climbs, whereas this would provide incentive to attack. As I said, would still want a breakaway award to encourage Jens and others to animate the race but would make KOM the quickest up hills rather than being an award for the best climber far enough down in GC to be allowed to escape.

Jersey for best descender could be interesting! If, perhaps, a little dangerous.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Or a mountain-effect crown

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the rider who is second on points should be called Prince of the Mountains and get to wear a purple beret.

d_jp replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

I think the rider who is second on points should be called Prince of the Mountains and get to wear a purple beret.

Surely you mean a raspberry beret  3

thesaladdays replied to d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes
d_jp wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

Dunno about that, second hand kit can be pretty nasty  3

farrell replied to thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes
thesaladdays wrote:
d_jp wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

Dunno about that, second hand kit can be pretty nasty  3

I don't think this was given the credit it deserved, it seems to have drifted under the radar.

Excellent work, Salad days.

lisa76uk replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Would the rider who gets the beret effectively have a purple reign? while wearing it? #seewhatIdidthere

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

The purpose of the KOM and points jerseys is to light up the race before the finish, for the enjoyment of spectators. Both of them essentially reward riders who will sprint for something other than the finish line. The jerseys are prized by riders who don't have a chance to win the GC. Sponsors like to see their riders in the KOM or points jerseys because they get more TV coverage during the race, and they get to stand on the podium every day.

I think most riders would prefer a stage win over a KOM jersey, given the choice.

Latest Comments