Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Which energy drink?

I've been reading the comments on the "fish and chips" topic with interest, as I've been thinking about my own approach to fuelling for rides recently.

I think we're probably all in agreement that mid-ride stops for cake or lunch are A Good Thing, but in my mind are only really relevant when you're riding in a group. I'm not one to sit in a tearoom or pub when I'm out by myself, so in those situations I prefer to refuel whilst I'm on the bike.

Before now, I haven't been doing much at all, just relying on whatever I'd eaten earlier in the day (or the night before), and then taking gels at points where I needed a boost. I do use electrolyte tabs in my water bottles, but they of course don't provide any energy.

However, I'm continually going further and faster, but in doing so am finding that fatigue definitely now sets in as the distance racks up, which I suspect is a consequence of not taking on enough fuel.

I don't particularly want to increase my gel intake, as it won't do either my bank balance or my toilet bowl any favours, and I've never really got on with energy bars either. If anything I find them less palatable than gels.

I've therefore been looking at the various tubs of powdered energy drinks that are available. Having an energy source as a drink makes sense to me, and as they mostly contain electrolytes then I can seemingly dispense with the separate tabs too.

It's a bit of a minefield of choice though. Do many people use these and, if so, are there any particular favourites out there?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not hugely experienced in these things but picked up one of the High5 race packs at the RideLondon show for £5. Did the "86" with one bottle made up with Energy Source powder and one bottle of blackcurrant squash, a couple of lumps of homemade flapjack and about eight gels. Almost certainly more carbs than 'necessary', but given the wet I did *not* want to bonk and finished on an absolute flyer.  4

zanf | 9 years ago
0 likes

For the last year Ive been using Elivar products as theyre catered for over 35's, with low index glycaemic sugars so I dont spike so bad with them. Always had issues with other drinks when out on rides & sportives and on a few occasions have had to cut it short due to stomach issues caused by them.

Other than that, I'll mix 50:50 pineapple juice with filtered water and add a sprinkle of salt.

I've made my own rice cakes using short grain/sushi rice and added various flavours such as crushed/chopped nuts (almonds or pistachios), dried fruit, chopped bananas and chunks of dark chocolate [A batch I made a while ago]. Usually make up a large batch (20 - 24 portions) then wrap the individual portions in foil and freeze them, moving a few into the fridge the night before a ride.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Seeing as I'm just old enough for that Elivar stuff then I might give it a go. Looks like they've got a sample pack for a tenner without committing to a whole tub.

Chocolate and banana flapjack is working out alright for me so far, but I still need to "boost" it somehow. Will head up Holland & Barrett and see what they've got.

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Elivar protein powder makes a terrible shake. Bad mixability, not a great taste and texture. I am used to premium grade protein though, which most companies don't sell.

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps not Omo Activ & Sport which some poor folk didn't realise was in fact detergent for washing their cycling kit. Oops.

Pages

Latest Comments