Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Portugeese Algarve - Lagos

Going next week for a few weeks with family - got a decent road bike pre booked for 10 days - looking for some interesting rides along coast, in land wherever...never been before grateful for any suggestions of where to go? where not to? Looking for 1-2 hour type spins, 50 k'ish top whack as family be waiting my return! Like hills so they won't put me off....Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have not been there for years so my opinion is a bit out of date, but I can say that the area is going to be hot! It was hot enough in March/April when I used to go.
A ride up to Monchique is a must, I do not think you can go all the way up to the top (Foia) anymore. Back then I could average 20mph from Silves to Monchique  16 on the way down my clubmates claimed 60+mph  16
Happy days  8
The main coast road was/is s**t, just a race track, but it did/does have a hard shoulder to ride on. I think it was the most dangerous road in Europe in terms of deaths per km  22
One of the things I remember was being chased by dogs uphill  20 They position themselves at intervals and you have to sprint or be eaten  2
I do remember being very welcome everywhere as a cyclist and never had any problems with any motorists, the roads I rode on were quiet, wide and smooth except for a few bomb crater like potholes!
I am very jealous and getting all nostalgic.... don't forget the factor 50 sunblock!
I had better not mention the amoebic dysentery I caught there....... whoops, I just did  31
Forget I said it....
Please let me know how it went as I would love to go back

Latest Comments