Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Moral Dilemma - See Through Bottoms

Almost on a daily basis I come across various ladies cycling through London with completely see-through leggings. They might not be see-through standing up, but hunched over a bike they often go completely transparent - with all that's underneath on show.

Now the question is - do I tell the owner of the transparent clothing that their undercrackers are on show? Or would that be deemed offensive/pervy?

Are there any ladies here that could give a view? Would you like to be told?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Husain | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its unfortunate that at the gym I go to, the spin bikes are setup up front. So running on the treadmills behind them gives you a choice to view a few TV channels or someone's exposed behind.

At some point, one of the gym's staff would lean in and whisper into the ear of the cyclist embarrassing them enough to quit their workout. As a stranger to the cyclist, their no way of pointing the obvious without causing discouragement.

Look the other way.

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

Being of the XY chromosome persuasion, I must admit to doing a quick, fortnightly 'safety check' in front of the mirror precisely to avoid offending my fellow road users!

Don't let it happen to you!  26

levermonkey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Look the rules are simple

If it's a bloke it is perfectly acceptable to use the following polite phrase:
"For f****s sake! Get some new lycra, no-one wants to see your rusty sheriffs badge; and while your at it learn to wipe your arse!"

If it's a girl, don't be a dick! Either overtake if the view is not to your liking or relax and take in the scenery. DO NOT COMMENT on the transparency of her lycra, anything else but NOT the lycra.

I once found myself behind a young lady who had the most exquisitely shaped perfect upside down heart bottom. Her lacy tanga briefs only helped to emphasise and frame the incredible beauty of her derriere.
When I finally lost her at a set of traffic lights I was 10 miles further from my destination than when I first saw her.

chunka | 9 years ago
0 likes

White shorts, sweaty butt crack, transparent through the rain, def see what he had for breakfast. Huge incentive to pass him asap.
White shorts should be banned!
Spotted first climb of this years etape.
Meanwhile some tanned, tight thighs, prefer Italian if possible, sit and draft all day.
Ps lower your jersey show a bit of clevage and wait for the push as you go by  4
That advice is only for the ladies!

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Meh, could be worse.

A strong look

(spotted on tuesday evening)

Joselito | 9 years ago
0 likes

Through a mate's son who was working for a Pro, I recently acquired some past season pro team kit as it doesn't fit my mate's son nor my mate.
His kit is XS.
The bibs are a distinctive colour in the peloton and even my small frame stretches the fabric so much that it loses its colour and becomes semi-transparent.
It gives me that Rapha time trial skin suit look - not pleasant to look at all.

DaveG | 9 years ago
0 likes

To the bloke I had the misfortune of following for a short while last night on the approach to Shooters Hill. Your bib shorts are worn out, it's horrific, please get a new pair.
Ruck sack & purple tee shirt completes the outfit if that helps you identify yourself.

keirik | 9 years ago
0 likes

wow there are some rabid PC people on here today aren't there!

Looking is fine, staring isn't, answering a comment on a forum is fine too

get over yourselves

farrell replied to keirik | 9 years ago
0 likes
keirik wrote:

Looking is fine

Not in my case it wasn't.

keirik wrote:

get over yourselves

You weren't there man, you weren't there...
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/epic_142653_315813.gif

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Phew-eee, the stench of man musk runs strong. I'm fairly sure no one would ever think badly of another human having their eye turned by an another attractive human, but writing loudly on a forum about ogling the laydeez in their knickers kind of reeks of some 1970s working mens club. So maybe just think it, don't write it.

As for the OP's question, I think the dilemma is to whether the person would like to know if their knickers are on show. Unfortunately, asking the cyclist would only cause embarrassment, so I reckon addressing the issue is best left to their friends or family.

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

The same stands for that as well.

You're overshooting the target a wee bit here.

If you're making someone uncomfortable with your attention, then yes, that is overstepping your boundaries and morally more than questionable. But simply enjoying seeing another fit human is not the same thing.

We're sexual beings, there is nothing wrong with that, and a fit human body is pleasant to look at for a variety of obvious reasons. Don't be a prude.

glynr36 wrote:

I think you'd find this situation is definetly perving.

If he goes out of his way to stay / draft behind that woman just to stare at her bum, aye. That's perving. But that's not what I meant, and I don't think that's what daddyELVIS meant either, or the OP for that matter.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The same stands for that as well.

I think you'd find this situation is definetly perving.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do? I think you need to look at the way you view women.

userfriendly replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

And how many straight women or gay men do you know that don't like looking at a fit bloke?

I don't see much wrong with "enjoying the view", it's when it gets into perving / harrassing territory where I would draw the line.

daddyELVIS replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

You deffo need a chill pill. My comment was quite flippant on purpose - to highlight how ridiculous this thread is.

I'm quite comfortable with my view on women, as are my wife, daughter, and work colleagues.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of a joke, especially when the conversation is a bit daft - as I said, chill a little.

BTW - I only draft nice female cyclists on climbs - the slower pace allows more time to enjoy the view  21

DeeJayJay | 9 years ago
0 likes

A dilemma indeed... (The image is not mine by the way)

Dapper Giles | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think we're all forgetting the first rule of cycling :

Don't be a dick.

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

Why worry about it?

If it's a nice sight, sit and wheel-suck for a while.

If it's a terrible sight, chances are said lady is less-than-fit, should be no problem moving past swiftly.

Simple  16

glynr36 replied to daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:

Why worry about it?

If it's a terrible sight, chances are said lady is less-than-fit, should be no problem moving past swiftly.

Simple  16

Don't be such a cretin.

Just get on with your ride and ignore it, and don't adopt the elvis view that's around 50 years in the past.

daddyELVIS replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:
daddyELVIS wrote:

Why worry about it?

Simple  16

Don't be such a cretin.

Just get on with your ride and ignore it, and don't adopt the elvis view that's around 50 years in the past.

You need to chill, mate.

Trull | 9 years ago
0 likes

Quote Rule#53 and mention etiquette...

http://www.velominati.com/etiquette/dont-be-an-ass-just-say-no-to-bad-ly...

If they don't know what you mean then leave it at that, for fear of sexual harassment claim if nothing else!

Don't wolf whistle, lick your fingers, or wink!  19

MarcMyWords | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to wondering all the way home now if everyone can see my butt crack through my replica RSNT shorts...

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

I saw a guy cycling in double denim the other day, sort of like a rockabilly biker - sleeveless denim shirt/waistcoat thing and skinny jeans.

Only they weren't jeans, they were jeggings. They were see through, 3/4 length jeggings.

adamthekiwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

My view: keep it to yourself. People generally spend way too much time and energy worrying about how other people look. Let them get on with their own rides, in their own kit, and worry yourself not. Perhaps that is exactly the look they were intending...

bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I never realised it was such a problem, maybe someone should invent a new handsign to pass the information on discretely after overtaking!

lindsam | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a girl. I have vaguely see though shorts. They're gore ones, so not just cheap rubbish either.

I know full well that my knickers are on show. They're really comfy shorts though so I wear them anyway. Bizarrely, if you don't wear knickers it's less obvious that they're a tiny bit see though as there is then no line between on-skin shorts and over-knickers shorts to see the difference between.

Personally, I'd rather not be told by a stranger if they could see my knickers, as there is little I could do about it on a ride and I'd feel pretty self-conscious. In the end showing your knickers is no worse than wondering around in a bikini.
If more than just my knickers were on show I'd like to think someone would say however, though maybe not in the middle of a ride... Difficult one!

truffy replied to lindsam | 9 years ago
0 likes
lindsam wrote:

Personally, I'd rather not be told by a stranger if they could see my knickers, as there is little I could do about it on a ride and I'd feel pretty self-conscious.

But at least you could do something about in next time!

That said, I'd keep schtum myself.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Otis - if you told him, he'd probably have found another gear - would that count as performance-enhancing?!

MartyMcCann | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had this dilemma on a sportive on the Giant's Causeway Coast a few years back-it was bucketing down rain all day and some fella had unwisely gone for cheap white shorts option (I'm guessing cheap rip offs of a pro team's shorts if I remember rightly) and they became very see-through-you could even see the hairs on his backside through them! He sat in front of me for a bit and I was toying with telling him especially as we were going through some very popular tourist areas. Maybe it was just his clever plan to make sure everyone took their turn on the front because that was not a pleasant view- eventually I decided not to tell him and used it as motivation to get on and drop him, since we were in the middle of the route and he was still going to have to keep going even if he was told. I deduced that not knowing he was displaying possibly the hairiest arse in Christendom was better for him than having to tackle the rest of the route knowing what the world and his wife could see. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss!

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

There is a fella I've been stuck behind on a few occasions that really needs to buy himself some new shorts, I've never brought myself to say anything to him but the sight of his bum crack is somewhat off putting.

Pages

Latest Comments