Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon or Aluminium

After riding a very old bike for many years I am ready to upgrade and spend some quite serious money. Do I buy a carbon or aluminium framed bike. It will be used for commuting and enjoyment cycling as opposed to out and out racing. What are the pro's and cons of both? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

bingham2259 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for advice. I have chosen a Bianchi carbon frame that appears to suit all my needs. Also, the shop owner was extremely helpful and gave some quality advice without steering me to any particular bike. Therefore the decision has been mine with the knowledge I have gleened over the past couple of months of doing my homework.

godihatehills | 14 years ago
0 likes

or you could get the best of both like a bmc racemaster!
actually Giant do one as well, if you were going all alu I'd at least want carbon rear stays but most frames will do at the "serious money" stage

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

there's a bit of chat about this here:

http://road.cc/content/forum/6592-alu-or-carbon-does-it-really-make-diff...

if you're going to splash out then i'd go for the best frame and wheel package you can get for the money - you can always upgrade the other kit as it wears out, and the frame and wheels are the two things that'll reward your spend best. Often that'll be a Carbon frame if you're throwing a lot of money at it, but not always.

You don't mention steel or titanium - have you ruled them out?

Latest Comments