Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Bowery 72

Hi guys,

I'm on the verge of buying a Giant Bowery 72 off of a friend of a friend for about £270... Does anyone know much about these single speed bikes? There's not a lot to find out about them on the internet. I'm keen to understand if it's worth the money, looks like a lovely bike!

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's hard to build up a half way decent fixed for less than £300 (although strangely you can buy a complete one) unless you happen to drop on a cheap donor bike to convert.

Giant don't make any tat in the road bike range so the bowery for £270 is not bad at all as long as it all runs.

MarcMyWords replied to MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes
MKultra wrote:

It's hard to build up a half way decent fixed for less than £300 (although strangely you can buy a complete one) unless you happen to drop on a cheap donor bike to convert.

Giant don't make any tat in the road bike range so the bowery for £270 is not bad at all as long as it all runs.

That's music to my ears because I've bought it now! Got it for £260 in the end and based on original price and condition it's in, I'm hoping I've got a good deal there! It's arriving tomorrow so lets hope it's a nice runner...

MarcMyWords | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your comments. It's a 2009 special edition Bowery 72 so from the small amount of information I've been able to find, they only made them for one year and sold them for $1100 which is about £650. This one has a Brooks Flyer saddle and saddle bag which together would cost around £100 if not a bit more so I think I've got a reasonable deal. The bike itself looks in amazing condition for it's age, been looked after by a real bike fanatic. I've never tried single speed but am really looking forward to giving it a go and this one has a flip flop hub so I may even venture into the world of fixed gear...It's arriving tomorrow so I've got everything crossed it's as nice as it seems...

antonio | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't know how old the bike is or what condition but in 2008 they sold at £350.00. It may have had upgrades at that asking price but remember it is about five years old. The worth, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in your case the enjoyment or lack of will be entirely down to how you view riding a fixed gear or single speed bike. A long term trial, in my humble opinion, is required to appreciate all that a single or fixed gear can offer. In my teens a long long while ago, fixed or single speed was the first and sometimes the only option, for me it was fixed gear for everything, club riding and touring. I still have a preference for fixed gear and I am in my seventies so have had all the time in the world to grow to love it. No faffing about, one gear, get on with it.

Latest Comments