Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour de France Stage 15

I guess no one saw the stage today...  22 I'm waiting to see how far I dropped today... I keep hitting 'Reload' on the page somehow hoping that will somehow make the updating faster..  4 I think I've clicked 'Reload' maybe 20 or 25 times already... It doesn't seem to work... But I keep trying...  4 At least someone's working on it!  22

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

thefatcyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jeez a plane full of innocents gets blasted out the sky, waiting for the game update is insignificant guys, make a cup of tea while you are waiting, read the forum, or some of the great articles on the site. You guys already know your scores by that time anyway give or take the odd point, or i'm a Dutchman.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not a clue. You'd have to ask Dave and he's away for a week or so

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

...he's away for a week or so

That's grand...  22 Is he on his way to the Pyrennees?...  45 How come you stayed?...  39

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The updating page appears as soon as the update starts and ends as soon as the update ends....It is not a manual system, it is all done automatically

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

The updating page appears as soon as the update starts and ends as soon as the update ends...

Is there a log entry generated every day that states 'Updating started 14:42 20 July 2014 Updating completed 15:02 20 July 2014' or something like that?...  39

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Scores are done outside the game, so we have to wait for official standing to come out that we can use to score the race.

The once that is done, upload them to the server and hit update....it is not us that take the time. It is the process of updating thousands of teams and leagues that takes the time.

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyway you can all applaud me now for Coquard and Haussler in for J-Rod and Voeckler whilst reserving the boo's for Kittel(instead of Greipel) in for Rogers.

Still....jumping up the leaderboard in 100 place leaps over the last few days.....rest day at the wrong time...would've had a full house if Bideau had done something.....anything...please Jean-Marc....show us you're alive?

#BideauOutSchleckInForS16

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it really a problem......we're going into a rest day anyway?

You can tell enrique's in contention for Forum's Scorum's TDF pts!!

#UpToFourthOrli

enrique replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Ok, so what takes longer? The system updating all the rider and league data or the actual loading of today's scores?...

nicholassmith wrote:

... In theory updating the system should happen reasonably swiftly...

Thanks, Nick...  1 I guess I'm trying to figure out why the system takes so long to update, I've got the impression once you put all the scores in, the system should be done with the updating in a couple of minutes. not 15, 20 or 30...  39 I've got the impression the daily scores are probably done outside of the game, maybe on a spreadsheet, and loaded into the game either by uploading a csv file or manually entering each rider score... I don't know which it is, but I thought I read someone, maybe TER, mention uploading a csv file... It's just annoying when you're as anal and obsesssed as I am... to wait so long... I get desperate...  45 Then I start wondering if people forget to log out or 'stay'in the system in admin mode, preventing the game pages from being accessed...  45 I know... I'm a dick....  4

ray silvester wrote:

Is it really a problem?...

Yes, ray, it's a problem... I'm surprised a person of your education and upbringing doesn't realize the severity of the situation and how it affects the quality of our lives... It ranks right up there with mispelling a rider's name...

ray silvester wrote:

#UpToFourthOrli

1 uncle orli sends his regards... he's a liitle shy in public, after being caught out, but he sends his love...

ray silvester replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

ray silvester wrote:

#UpToFourthOrli

1 uncle orli sends his regards... he's a liitle shy in public, after being caught out, but he sends his love...[/quote]

And he's got 'love' points in Forum's Scorum's

#TennisScore

enrique replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Scores are done outside the game... it is not us that take the time. It is the process of updating thousands of teams and leagues that takes the time.

Now a couple of questions...once you do the scores outside the game, do you enter each riders score individually into the system or do you upload a file?... Do you tell the system not be available each time you hit 'update' or is that a 'built-in' feauture? Meaning, once you hit 'update', is access automatically denied to all users who are not logged in as administrators of the system, and we all get the 'We are currently updating the game' message? Or do you have to tell the system to 'become available' to all users after you've finished the updating?  39 Thanks for taking the time to clear this up... I know so little about how these things work...  22

ray silvester wrote:

And he's got 'love' points in Forum's Scorum's...

*sigh* I wish I could fix that without a major uproar...  1

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It doesn't stops the updating, just slows it slightly, taking processor power  21

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

It doesn't stops the updating, just slows it slightly, taking processor power...

Ok, so if I reload the page it slows the processor that is doing the updating 'slightly'... So, is it fair to say that the processor that is doing the updates also responds to requests from the 'outside' for permssion to view the data by saying 'No, you can't see the data the page you are looking for...', you can only see this page that says 'We are curently updating'?  39 ...

Anyways, back to my original question:.

enrique wrote:

... what takes longer? The system updating all the rider and league data or the actual loading of today's scores? How long does it usually take to upload the daily scores? So, after you do that, then you click 'Submit', the job is done and then all you have to do is wait for the system to process everything?... Is that all that happens? So what takes 15 minutes or so is not the upload of the scores but the system processing all the league and rider data?...  39

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know every time you hit reload it causes the server to use more load on your reloads and takes away from the score updating......DUH

Also, it is me on scoring until the end now, both on this and Skoda  19

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

So who's scoring today?...  39 Oh, yay! We're up!  1 Thank you!  1

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

God... the wait is agonizing...  39

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hate waiting...  22

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok, so what takes longer? The system updating all the rider and league data or the actual loading of today's scores? How long does it usually take to upload the daily scores? So, after you do that, then you click 'Submit', the job is done and then all you have to do is wait for the system to process everything?... Is that what takes 15 minutes or so?...  39

enrique replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You know every time you hit reload it causes the server to use more load on your reloads and takes away from the score updating..:

I really know next to nothing about IT... You mean to tell me that though the server is not accepting requests, because 'It's updating', it still takes away from the processing to interrupt the updating to answer my request to reload and that takes away from the score updating? Wow... That's crappy... How many seconds do you think it takes away from the updating each time I click? 5 seconds? Hmmm...  39 Does that mean I am responsible for the updating to be about 1 minute slower than what it should have been?.. That's pretty crappy... Please explain that to me...  39 And anyways, would you care to explain this, too?... Thanks!

enrique wrote:

Ok, so what takes longer? The system updating all the rider and league data or the actual loading of today's scores? How long does it usually take to upload the daily scores? So, after you do that, then you click 'Submit', the job is done and then all you have to do is wait for the system to process everything?... Is that what takes 15 minutes or so?...  39

nicholassmith replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Caveat, I know nothing about the way they've built the fantasy league here, but I am a software developer.

In theory updating the system should happen reasonably swiftly, there's a fixed number of cyclists involved, a fixed number of points issued per position and so on, then calculate the scores for each user but once again that should be reasonably quick as there's not hundreds of thousands of people playing. I imagine they have to wait on ASO to publish the results, and for whatever data service they use for calculating the rider form scores to update to include that information as well.

Reloading the page won't make it slower to get the results though, in theory. Makes it seem longer though  3

Latest Comments