Hole worn in inner tube in pannier

by cat1commuter   July 20, 2014  

I keep a spare tube in my pannier on my commuting bike, so that I don't have to do a repair at the roadside and save a bit of time. Once though, I found that a hole had worn through it on an edge of the tube where it was folded. I picked up a tip to wrap the inner tube in cling film, to prevent this happening, which I did. However, on Friday, I had a puncture and found that both the cling film and inner tube had worn through! Any suggestions for something I can use instead of cling film?

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Friction between the pannier material and tube has to be causing this over a long time. What time period are you getting between punctures? My tubes are in my saddle bag along with a few tools etc and I've had no such problems.

Redvee's picture

posted by Redvee [69 posts]
20th July 2014 - 15:25

1 Like

Yes, and it is the friction that the (several layers of) cling film is supposed to avoid. Months between punctures. 100 miles a week.

two wheels good; four wheels bad

posted by cat1commuter [1344 posts]
20th July 2014 - 16:38

1 Like

Keep it in the box if it's in a pannier?

glynr36's picture

posted by glynr36 [387 posts]
20th July 2014 - 16:56

2 Likes

Always keep it in the box it comes with, that is what it is for. Different if you are using a saddle bag, but in a pannier, there isn't so much of a space constraint

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8848 posts]
20th July 2014 - 18:02

2 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
Always keep it in the box it comes with, that is what it is for. Different if you are using a saddle bag, but in a pannier, there isn't so much of a space constraint

And wrap it in cling film

My eyes prefer Celeste, my bum prefers titanium.

Jack Osbourne snr's picture

posted by Jack Osbourne snr [304 posts]
20th July 2014 - 22:14

2 Likes