Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hole worn in inner tube in pannier

I keep a spare tube in my pannier on my commuting bike, so that I don't have to do a repair at the roadside and save a bit of time. Once though, I found that a hole had worn through it on an edge of the tube where it was folded. I picked up a tip to wrap the inner tube in cling film, to prevent this happening, which I did. However, on Friday, I had a puncture and found that both the cling film and inner tube had worn through! Any suggestions for something I can use instead of cling film?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Always keep it in the box it comes with, that is what it is for. Different if you are using a saddle bag, but in a pannier, there isn't so much of a space constraint

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Always keep it in the box it comes with, that is what it is for. Different if you are using a saddle bag, but in a pannier, there isn't so much of a space constraint

And wrap it in cling film

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Keep it in the box if it's in a pannier?

cat1commuter | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, and it is the friction that the (several layers of) cling film is supposed to avoid. Months between punctures. 100 miles a week.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Friction between the pannier material and tube has to be causing this over a long time. What time period are you getting between punctures? My tubes are in my saddle bag along with a few tools etc and I've had no such problems.

Latest Comments