Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Nearly got wiped out by a VW today - video

This idiot nearly wiped me out today - http://youtu.be/w3khfbqvrjI

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Paul_C | 9 years ago
0 likes

don't ride in the gutter... ride at least one and a half metres out...

Riding in the gutter encourages them to go for it...

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can well understand why it would scare you, but unfortunately rather more common than it should be. What's the limit on that road? The problem is that, in trying to be courteous (I'm sometimes as guilty as anyone of this), you left enough room for them to pass without moving over the white line. Thus, they try it, and it's you that gets squeezed. Presumably riding in primary position (or at least further out) would help, by forcing the driver to think about the overtake (as they'd need to move into the oncoming lane).

Don't let it put you off!

carytb | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think some idiots play a game of trying to stay inside of the middle white line whilst trying to pass on narrow lanes!

chokofingrz replied to carytb | 9 years ago
0 likes
carytb wrote:

I think some idiots play a game of trying to stay inside of the middle white line whilst trying to pass on narrow lanes!

There's a related species who do about 60mph on country lanes and pull out into the opposite lane directly after passing you, rather than before and during (which would be preferable).

Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suppose a hill is a thing of personal opinion. To me, anything that involves moving down one gear is a typical Suffolk hill. Should I ever venture 'up North', then I shall complain of cheating and a lack of available gears.

0 likes

oh, and Simple Minds  8  8  8  8

0 likes

Thanks v much for kind comments. I'm using the blog as a bit of a motivator. But the hills...

userfriendly replied to Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes
Suffolk Cycling wrote:

But the hills...

Come on. You don't really have hills down there. Try Scotland.  21

(Maybe that's why I like them - I don't really have a choice, do I ...)

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go for it  1 Had to fettle a bit with the mounting, but am quite happy with it.

Liking your blog, btw. - but don't hate on the hills  3 Hills are great!

First you dislike them, then you dislike them a little less, and before you know there's no greater thing than a nice climb.  4

Also, Simple Minds ++

0 likes

I love the idea. Don't worry about the aero bit - there's nothing aero or even dynamic about me  1

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

I understand perfectly well how that close pass made you feel - but yes, it's pretty normal. You will get some muppets passing you much closer than this.

Get an AirZound. It's cheap, very loud, and its use can be quite cathartic. Cursing under your breath or wagging your finger doesn't do anything, but an air horn like that will at the very least get their attention.

They'll have gone past at that point of course, but they *will* notice it. And if the close pass was done out of inattention rather than malice then there is at least a chance they'll be more considerate next time they pass someone on two wheels.

A lot of those people are "just" terrible drivers, as opposed to being out to scare/kill you.

Drawback: it's not very aero ...  22 ... but it is lightweight.  16

0 likes

Gotcha, daddyELVIS. But, you know, it kinda left me all shook up

0 likes

OK let me qualify this: I'm a new cyclist, and the occasion of a car passing within a few feet of my handlebars at approaching 50mph, and in the face of an oncoming car, was a surprise to me.

If, however, this is a regular, day-to-day thing you all face, then I apologise for posting. But at the same time, why the hell is 'day-to-day' crap driving acceptable?

daddyELVIS replied to Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes
Suffolk Cycling wrote:

If, however, this is a regular, day-to-day thing you all face, then I apologise for posting. But at the same time, why the hell is 'day-to-day' crap driving acceptable?

It's not acceptable, but it isn't going to stop. Ride with assertiveness & confidence, and do whatever you need to do to stay safe. Keep cycling, there's nothing better!

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not really sure what I'm looking for?

Joeinpoole | 9 years ago
0 likes

Breaking news shocker? Don't think so. I was waiting for the 'event' to happen ... and it didn't. Maybe it's the wide-angle camera lens but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Obviously not exemplary motoring skills being exhibited but certainly nothing even close to a "near wipe-out" as far as I'm concerned. Are you new to cycling on Britain's roads?

Suffolk Cycling replied to Joeinpoole | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes!

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the car coming the other way had a dash cam, he may have posted a similar vid, this guy took a very narrow line between hitting the other car head on and buzzing your bars.

Arsehole.

Latest Comments