Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Clicking ticking noise

I need help before I go crazy. I have a Cube road bike about 3 years old which has developed an odd metallic clicking, ticking sort of noise when I pedal. There isn't a predictable rhythm to the noise and it's difficult to predict where it appears on the pedal stroke. The noise disappears when I freewheel or when I pedal at a low cadence.

So far I've changed the pedals, changed my cleats, had the bike serviced and as a result had a new bottom bracket. I've removed the handlebars and stem gave them a clean and refitted them. I've checked the wheels and there don't appear to be any problems that I can see and just to be thorough I removed and re-fitted the tyres and tubes.

Despite all of this the damn clicking ticking noise remains. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I could do to sort this out?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Similar to Cantab, after trying to source a clicking I eventually narrowed it down to the freewheel mechanism. Once that was replaced clicking was gone. It turned out that the ratchets were slipping when a put the power down in the higher gears.

Cantab | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had an intermittent ticking noise, which was worse when I pedalled harder, couldn't for the life of me work it out until, in the natural course of things, I changed the cassette - noise gone! Might be worth stripping, cleaning, greasing and refitting yours if the seat/seatpost turns out to be innocent!

Lavaman | 9 years ago
0 likes

A long shot perhaps, but I had a similar noise some time back on a race lite rear wheel. Was at it's worst when climbing, which suggested flex in the wheel. Tried everything and eventually resorted to a very small drop of oil on each spoke nipple and at each point that spokes crossed over. Sorted.

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'll second the amount of cable pulled through your front derailleur and your foot pinging it as it goes past. That one had me going nuts  102

marc_j_w | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The next step will definitely be to have a very close look at the seat post, clamp and saddle. I'll keep you all posted.

craig749 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had this problem not long ago and it was driving me mad. After trying almost everything I could think of, I was told by a friend who is a cycle mechanic to grease the screws in my cleats. As soon as I done this and went back on the bike the noise had gone. If you've not tried it then id recommend giving it a try  3

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pedals was my first suggestion, but you've ruled that out.
Could be your headset/stem interface with bars or seatpost.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a noise that only happened when in the small ring. Turned out it was the cable end for the front derailleur tapping against my shoe  4

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a buzzing noise when riding the other day which seemed to be coming from my front wheel or handlebars, perhaps the stem, or so I thought.

I ended up riding along, desperately unseating myself to try and get an ear nearer to the source of the sound as it disappeared when I slowed down.

Turned out to be the label sticking out of my mitt that was buzzing as it flapped in the wind.

Frannybobs | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had that and it turned out to be the magnet on my wheel catching the cadence sensor...it stopped when I freewheeled and was worse if I had my right leg down. But after all you've done I'm sure you'd have noticed if it was that...

TheFatAndTheFurious | 9 years ago
0 likes

Absolutely on the saddle/seatpost.

I had the exact same problem on a 2010 Cube Agree SL (alu frame). I found this after I had:

* stripped and repacked the BB races
* stripped and regreased hollowtech crank
* removed pedals, cleaned and regreased pedal threads
* cleaned front chainrings and bolts and regreased.

I didn't pin down whether it was the seatpost collar or the saddle clamp, but a thorough stripping down and teflon greasing of:

* seat post
* seat tube
* collar
* saddle rails
* clamp

finally silenced the problem.

Work through these one at a time, and let us know?

I'm wondering if mine came about by overtightening the collar, thus exceeding the grease's threshold.

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know you've had a new one but is it a PF BB ?

Hensteeth | 9 years ago
0 likes

All of the above. I get this from the seat tube and seatpost every few months, usually after a wet ride. Remove, clean, regrease. Also had a clicking from the pedals once which was fixed by removing and greasing the threads on the axles before refitting.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

or bottles moving in the cage ... I used Elite cages with the "gels" in them and
certain bottles would "click" and "tick" as they moved against the cage ....

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If u use alu or steel bottle cages remove them go for a ride see if it's still there .....I had the same issue and it was a cracked cage ...

Some Fella | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar sound which 'ticked' on every revolution of the pedal.
I presumed it was the drivetrain. Drove me insane. Stripped everything down.
No joy.

Turns out it was grit inside the seattube. I think it was just the pressure of my buttock pushing down on every revolution that caused it.
Just cleaned out seattube and seatpost - lithium greased the lot - ticking gone.

Might be worth ruling it out.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Saddle and seatpost next.

Latest Comments