Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle Markings in London

Hi All,
Ive been in London for a month or so now and commute or ride every day. Could someone explain to me what the small white bike logo painted on the left of the road means leagally? They seem to come in a long row of them, its not a separated or marked cycle lane just a series of white bike logos painted on the road.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some of those denote the LCC cycle routes, which Boris wants to incorporate into the 'quiet way's network he suggested. There is an LCC route round the corner from where I live and I used it as part of my commute to my old job. They are quite good actually as they keep you off the main roads and while on a map they look longer, avoiding traffic congestion and traffic lights means that commute times are pretty good, as well as being less stressful and a lot safer. They're a lot better than the Cycle Superhighways, which run for the most part along busy roads and where the illusion of safety provided by the blue paint is just that, an illusion, as can be seen by the rate of deaths an injuries on them.

Robert.onyourbike | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would be difficult to say because no one attention there, they just have to mean to drive or ride their vehicles. but as "Gizmo_" said It's just to alert drivers that the route is used by cyclists. Amusingly however, most drivers don't actually know this either.

Regards
On Yer Bike - Robert

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

You also get them on cycle contraflows down one way streets - to let the driver know bikes are coming. The driver ignores this and beeps and swears at you. This is also the law.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

A cynic might suggest they are a way of spending cycling budgets when you have got targets to meet and no idea what to do with the money. In essence they're the chocolate teacup of cycling infrastructure as said above.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

What he said. It's just to alert drivers that the route is used by cyclists. Amusingly however, most drivers don't actually know this either.

rogermerriman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Legally none, they are intended to alert to the possible presence of bikes.

And a few are on some old bike routes.

Latest Comments