Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

L2B Off Road - CX Tyres

Hi guys,

I'm looking at doing the London to Brighton Off Road ride this year on a Boardman CX Team. It's got Schwalbe Marathons on at the mo, what CX tyres would you recommend?

Anybody done it?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

sps137 | 9 years ago
0 likes

2 yrs ago i did a CX sportive in the chilterns at the end of an incredibly wet year. Myself and another rider ran 28mm slicks (conti gatorskins I think) and they were brilliant, they cut right through the wet slop and gripped on the hard sub surface meaning we could get drive on climbs where the fat MTB knobblies were just slapping around like paddle steamers. you have to have a level of confidence in your bike handling down the hills, but I'd have no qualms about using them again if it's really muddy - absolutely no grip cornering on wet grass or loose surfaces though  2

If you want something that gives you all round confidence then michelin mud 2's are pretty good but you'll need to run them at a fairly high pressure to prevent pinch flats on a course like the LTB

towersw | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'm totally gambling on it not being too wet otherwise it'll be a nightmare!

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

It depends on ground conditions. I did it in January on an MTB and it was a struggle to get traction at times even on the flat disused railway section south of Cranleigh as it was so muddy. I'd wager it would have been nigh on impossible on a cx then. If it's dry, no problem.

Latest Comments