Packable waterproof jacket?

by ashfanman   July 15, 2014  

Hi all. After getting hosed on by some variable and unpredictable weather during a Paris to London ride this weekend, I'm on the hunt for a packable waterproof jacket.

Needs to be small and light enough to easily fit into a jersey pocket. Ideally looking for a race cut with very long sleeves (I'm 6'6 and very slim). Hi-vis would be a bonus but not essential.

Most of my jerseys are Castelli or Sportful as they fit me well, so I've been looking at the Castelli Squadra, Sottile or maybe even a Muur, but I'm not a brand snob so open to any suggestions.

Would obviously rather not spend too much, but don't want to get something nasty just to save a few quid either.

Thanks!

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Muur is a bit "boil in the bag" when you're getting a wriggle on ....

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [709 posts]
15th July 2014 - 10:50

1 Like

Yeah. I have the Muur and it's excellent. Very waterproof and comfortable - like cycling in a protective bubble. No good at this time of year though. Just too warm. Castelli Sottile or Sportful Hotpack maybe?

posted by spicypedro [90 posts]
15th July 2014 - 12:03

1 Like

I have a Sportful Hot Pack 5, which fits nicely into a jersey pocket. It breathes ok, but in Scotland hot and wet is rarely an issue. It does a good job keep an awful lot of rain off though.

posted by bollandinho [52 posts]
15th July 2014 - 12:19

1 Like

I've got the Sportful Hotpack. Not perfectly breathable, but really not too bad. Packs up nice and small, and weighs practically nothing.

posted by CasperCCC [6 posts]
15th July 2014 - 12:38

1 Like

I think I'll try to pop into my LBS this weekend and see if they have a Sottile and Hotpack for me to try.

Does anyone have a Sottile? Some online reviews say the zip is a bit shonky? Gets caught in the fabric at the top or something?

As for Sportful, would people suggest the standard Hotpack or the Hotpack No Rain? I already have a Gabba and a (definitely non-packable) hardshell for winter and days when it is properly grisly - this will be more to stuff in my jersey for most milder rides in case it suddenly starts chucking it down.

posted by ashfanman [50 posts]
15th July 2014 - 15:26

1 Like