Home

I've not seen the incident yet but apparently his crash was caused by his frame braking.

Hopefully what has happened will become clearer very shortly, but we now have no former Tour winners racing in the tour.

6 comments

Avatar
Super Domestique [1610 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

The Vuelta will be good this year  3

Avatar
Gkam84 [9098 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Everyone is screaming that his bike broke. Problem is, when he crashed he wasn't on his numbered 31 bike. Which is the broken one.

Avatar
ajmarshal1 [417 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Everyone is screaming that his bike broke. Problem is, when he crashed he wasn't on his numbered 31 bike. Which is the broken one.

Apparently he was. The intact bike seen as he was being treated by the doctors was dropped off by Roche for Contador to get going again quickly. Contador was reportedly separated from his number 31 bike by 100 feet following the crash.

Whether the broken bike was the one he crashed or the one which, in an incredible sequence of coincidence, was broken in a fall from the roof rack at almost exactly the same time, remains to be seen.

Avatar
Gkam84 [9098 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

How could Roche drop off his bike to get him going, but Roche didn't even wait for him.........

So if Roche swapped bikes, then Contador's wasn't broken.....

He was on Roche's bike after a mechanical earlier in the stage

Avatar
ajmarshal1 [417 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

How could Roche drop off his bike to get him going, but Roche didn't even wait for him.........

So if Roche swapped bikes, then Contador's wasn't broken.....

He was on Roche's bike after a mechanical earlier in the stage

Apparently. (And I re-iterate apparently) They didn't swap, Roche gave his to Contador whilst they waited for the team car. I'm simply going on tweets by riders and spectators. Unless the UCI have allowed bike teleportation that crashed bike did well to make it back to being right next to Contador straight after Tinkoff and Saxobank reported it being 100ft away following a 50kph crash.

Avatar
Gordy748 [110 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

Apparently. (And I re-iterate apparently) They didn't swap, Roche gave his to Contador whilst they waited for the team car. I'm simply going on tweets by riders and spectators. Unless the UCI have allowed bike teleportation that crashed bike did well to make it back to being right next to Contador straight after Tinkoff and Saxobank reported it being 100ft away following a 50kph crash.

Ahh. I've been wondering what was going on with the crashed bike. Likely Roche's machine was the one they pulled out to get ready for Contador.