Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Attention SPD'ers: Time/Mavic Alternatives

Been using Mavic Crossmax SL (Time ATAC's rebadged) on my Synapse for a wee while now. While the rotational float is great (i.e. shifting your heal left or right) they are prone to allowing your foot to tilt outwards and inwards as I don't think the cleat is contacting the pedal body but just the bars, leaving room for them to tilt. Plus, they squeak which seems to be a problem with most Time ATACs.

In short, what are the rest of you SPD'ers using and any recommendations for a SPD pedal for a road bike? Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

pedalpowerDC | 9 years ago
0 likes

You should check out the new Look mtb pedals.

Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm using carbon-soled shoes so the difference (in theory) between two and three bolt systems should be negated by the stiffness, while retaining the benefit of double-sided pedals. In practice, I'm not sure if the lack of contact area on the pedal body is reducing foot stability. Or maybe I need less float. Or better technique. I suspect the latter... Will try alternatives and report back.

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think with any pedal of this sort the way they feel underfoot is just as dependant on the shoe as the pedal. Shoes with a stiff and solid sole will feel great on even the tiniest of pedals wheras a more flexible shoe might not.

Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all. Definitely steering towards the XTs. The minimalism of the Egg Beaters worries me - what are they like underfoot?

Nat Jas Moe replied to Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

They are good under foot and I have never really had issues with their minimalism. I have heard that with egg beaters you don't need a stiff sole although the shoes I use are stiff soles.

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I go with Jack and his Crank Bro Candy but now would recommend going the whole hog and use their egg beaters. I used the Candy platform when I first went spd, but have moved over to the egg beaters and wonder why I didn't go for them from the start.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 macro's comment ... XT's are just as good but far less spendy  1

I use the 785 trail version

macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes

don't go with the XTR's - save your monay and go with the XT's. They are both as smooth as each other (and both have wider platforms on the pedal where the contact doesn't just rely in just the cleat) but the XTR's have a nasty habit of ejecting the bearing seal after only a 100km's or so (you can push it back in but you're loosing grease each time and letting water in). The XT's are excellent and v. good value on the usual online stores.

Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - I've had my eye on Shimano XTRs (M980) as an alternative. While the Mavics are secure enough for normal efforts they just feel a little insecure when out the saddle or really hammering it, even with the release tension at max.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

m540's ... indestructable ...  1

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Crank Brothers Candy here.

I use them on my Audax bike, drop bar commuter, hybrid commuter and my 26 year old steel Bianchi race bike.

Plenty of float and they come with shims to adjust contact between shoe and platform.

I get around 5000 miles per service and 3 services per set of pedals until the cleat clamp starts to go.

Cleats are expensive but last very well in road use. I'm reckoning 7-8 thousand miles.

Latest Comments