Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TdF stage 5

Thought I'd open this one early. Forecast is rain and 75kph winds. Ouch.

Split open.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

63 comments

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

All down to Porte to show he should have been team leader all along

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is going very wrong for my team, nevermind

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pretty pleased I took Lemoine out today given he is still in the first group.

chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do we really think that Wiggins would have been a better GC contender than Porte? Liggett certainly seems to think so, but then again he is a monumental dick.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its raining so Wiggins would have packed in by now.

NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think I probably scored ok today, but could have been a lot better. I told myself I wouldn't make extra transfers & take penalty points for a stage that would be such a lottery. Then I cracked late last night and decided to put in Haussler or Hayman for Taaramae for 10 penalty points. I put in Haussler. Then Taaramae and Hayman score points & everytime the cameras cut to Haussler he was sprawled on the tarmac. That the way it's gone for me all season in this game. If there's a 50/50 decision to make I always chose the wrong option.

thefatcyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm glad Boom won, Belkin really need a new sponsor, to me that is a great thing for them.
Nibali was brilliant.
Renshaw was a surprise.
Pity for Van Marcke. and Haussler both in My team.
Keukaliere was quietly fancied by many

I've got Sagan and Cancellara at least.

Looks like the lumpy time trial is going to be very very important now.

0 likes

Have a look at the bottom end of the field today, obviously the sprinters were staying safe but Jeansson, Reichenbach, Vanotti, Scarponi, JRod, Kiryenka, Voeckler, Gerrans to name just some lost huge time.

0 likes

I like this quote drom elsewhere,

"Marginal losses"

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins, were he to have given a flying fig, would probably be a better GC contender than Porte will be. He would've been strong today, especially in the knowledge that his big rival had just retired early. Still think he would've been a top-ten-at-best type in GC, but more likely up toward 5th place.

Shame Sky couldn't rally round Nieve, he was immense last year. Great, great ride from Nibali and Fuglsang today, by the way.

Oh and in Fantasy terms, despite a so-so day (none of top three, no-shows from GVA & Kristoff) I've somehow pushed my way up to 19th overall!  4

Dux89 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Who would have thought Nibali would score so many points in the first 5 stages?

debbieg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Please can someone check how many points Van Den Broeck should have for stage 5 ......I thought it should be 5 for 6th on GC and another 5 for 16th on the stage but he only seems to have been awarded 5 in total

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's evidently too late for me to do team for tomorrow.

Just did four transfers to take a pen. Then realised I left out Kittel.  20

I am not having a good race. Currently 1,276th place

Jimmy Ray Will replied to chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Do we really think that Wiggins would have been a better GC contender than Porte? Liggett certainly seems to think so, but then again he is a monumental dick.

Um yeah, yeah I do. I think you have to look at the past to forecast the future. Has Porte won a three week tour? Has Wiggins?

farrell replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Really?
http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CDF_2606...

debbieg replied to debbieg | 9 years ago
0 likes
debbieg wrote:

Please can someone check how many points Van Den Broeck should have for stage 5 ......I thought it should be 5 for 6th on GC and another 5 for 16th on the stage but he only seems to have been awarded 5 in total

Please can someone else check this out - I still think the scores are wrong for yesterday's stage  2

ray silvester replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

All down to Porte to show he should have been team leader all along

Excellent ride by Gee to rescue him though......

chrisdstripes replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Um yeah, yeah I do. I think you have to look at the past to forecast the future. Has Porte won a three week tour? Has Wiggins?

I'm just saying its hardly clear-cut - many would say Porte is just as good a second option as Wiggins would've been, but the commentators were refusing to even acknowledge the possibility of it for a while. Personally I don't think there's much in it - and I'd probably give Porte the edge - say what you like about California but Brad doesn't have the climbing form he had 2 years ago.

enrique replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

farrell wrote:

Really?
http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CDF_2606...

Nice!  1

Alan Tullett replied to debbieg | 9 years ago
0 likes
debbieg wrote:
debbieg wrote:

Please can someone else check this out - I still think the scores are wrong for yesterday's stage  2

You appear to be correct. I would start a separate thread about it to get it noticed and sorted out.

VVV73 replied to chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Do we really think that Wiggins would have been a better GC contender than Porte? Liggett certainly seems to think so, but then again he is a monumental

dick.

Nice One , any different to dog or tool ?

Frannybobs | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can't help thinking Team Sky cut off their nose to spite their face and are now paying the price...

drheaton replied to Frannybobs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Frannybobs wrote:

Can't help thinking Team Sky cut off their nose to spite their face and are now paying the price...

Agreed, it's such a shame that they don't have a GC leader in their squad who can win a three week race and is good on cobbles... oh wait, they do, he's sat at home watching the race and Sky now have no viable plan B and no other options. Richie Porte won't even crack top 10.

enrique replied to drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
Frannybobs wrote:

drheaton wrote:

... such a shame that they don't have a GC leader in their squad who can win a three week race and is good on cobbles... oh wait, they do...

Heh heh  1 Made me laugh...  1

VVV73 replied to drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Frannybobs wrote:

Agreed, it's such a shame that they don't have a GC leader in their squad who can win a three week race and is good on cobbles... oh wait, they do, he's sat at home watching the race and Sky now have no viable plan B and no other options. Richie Porte won't even crack top 10.

Lol WANKER  24

0 likes

Froome out.... even before he reached the cobbles. It's a shame for him, hope he gets better soon.

Carlton Kirby is desolated on Eurosport. He blamed Cannondale for pushing too hard, amongst other reasons. He is going to spend the rest of the race discussing Froome instead of the race.

I wonder if Thomas will be allowed to go now and try and win it for Froome.

nicholassmith | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think a fair few fantasy teams might have just taken a bit of a blow on that one.

adamthekiwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

According to the beeb, Froome has retired...

nicholassmith | 9 years ago
0 likes

It feels like about a third of the peloton have hit the deck already. Both the big sprinters, Tony Martin, Froome, Demare, a few others. As I was typing this another bunch went down including Cancellara. Bit ropey out there for them.

0 likes

I am sure you all know by now but cobbles cut from 9 to 7 sections.

I really wonder about the organisers. You have to keep riders as safe as possible, so cuts are made, and that is fine.This is a 21 day race with so much at stake. But in these days why are the teams and UCI allowing ASO to put the cobbles in. A career could be ended really easily. Banking on a fine dry day?? I know they wanted to commemorate WW1 and I applaud that fully.
At least unlike the Giro they haven't gone for neutralisation.

Pages

Latest Comments