Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A silly sunglasses question...

This is a little tongue-in-check, apologies if Monday morning isn't the time for it...

I came across "the rules" for road cycling the other day, obviously its meant to be humorous, but one rule did stick in my mind "sunglasses must be worn outside of the helmets straps". I noticed all the pro-riders doing this while watching some TdF footage over the weekend, so I thought "if it's good enough for them" and tried it out yesterday... for about 2 minutes.

Maybe it's my head shape or something, but without the loving hold of my helmet straps to lock the glasses in place, I found they were bouncing around all over the place - really irritating. Is this just me, does everyone else wear their glasses the "correct" way with no problems? Am I forever doomed to look like a pleb with my glasses snugly secured under my helmet straps.

Regards,
Embarrassed of Surrey...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

dafyddp | 9 years ago
0 likes

away from the weekend warriors, there's clearly less of a consensus:
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9120385,00.html

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

I never remember which way round I do it and which way the rules specify. Just do what you want.

I think rules say what they say because the helmet straps are not there to keep the glasses on your head and that fitting the helmet with the arms inside the straps is likely to mean the glasses rub or are to tight. Plus, if they are too tight then it's harder to remove them should you need to when climbing. The classic reverse sunglass look by Sylvain Chavanel or the sunglasses in the helmet by the Schleck's being the preferred look when ascending.

farrell replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

The classic reverse sunglass look by Sylvain Chavanel or the sunglasses in the helmet by the Schleck's being the preferred look when ascending.

Both OK options, but neither really compare to Beefy Bertie's collar hook technique.

Cool as.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a speccy git, and find it varies from eyewear to eyewear.

In general though, I usually have the glasses on before the helmet... Because I'm a speccy git.

I don't give a toss about the velominati rules. I've been riding too many years to be given instruction by anyone... Particularly some twat in his forties that started cycling a year ago.

Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a fat head, so my glasses do not bounce about when I wear them outside the straps.

The fact that I don't go very fast might also have something to do with it  16

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are no rules.

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Trouble with wearing them outside the straps is that if you forget and take the helmet off first the sunnies go flying, I've broken a couple of pairs that way.

jollygoodvelo replied to Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

Trouble with wearing them outside the straps is that if you forget and take the helmet off first the sunnies go flying, I've broken a couple of pairs that way.

Aldi. £3.99. Perfect.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wear mine outside the helmet straps because they keep the straps from catching the wind.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

as mine are prescription I don't take them off so inside the straps ....  1

plus "the rules" are only for fun any hoo !!

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

i wear my riding sunnies outside the straps, but when i'm just wearing my normal glasses i have those inside the straps. those are just the most comfortable positions to have them for me.

do what works for you.

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

Plebs!  10  4

Agree with 7thGalaxy up there, it may mostly be a comfort thing. Also heard the argument that, when worn outside the straps, they are more likely to come off and not stick to your face and gouge your eyes out when you do a faceplant on tarmac.

Plus it looks better. Which clearly makes you go faster.

But yeah ... I wear them outside the straps.

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wear them however they work for you. If someone quotes 'the rules' at you then remove your sunglasses and stab them in the eye with the arm of them.

I think that's rule #5374

lisa76uk | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wear my sunglasses inside the straps of my helmet because that's where they fit best and feel most comfortable. The design of my helmet and/or the shape of my head/face leaves a gap by my ears and wearing my sunglasses on the outside makes them bounce around too.

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have crap eyes and wear glasses at all times, what I have noticed is that glasses get worn if you wear the straps over the top.

I now have some worn silver patches on the arms of my oakley transistors.

7thGalaxy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I find it uncomfortable if I wear them inside the strap - the arms get pushed into my head, and it gets sore after a long ride. That might be part of the reason that pros do it.

But I shouldn't worry overmuch. I guess you might find a smaller pair of glasses so they fit a bit more snugly? You might even find you can adjust the arms on your current pair.

The rules are quite ironic - they take the piss out of the 'pro does it so I should even though I have no idea why' just as much as they embrace it  3

Latest Comments