Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Modern day Evans opinion

Hello everybody

I am looking at getting a new bike, but i am struggling with smaller lbs's and having small stock, especially as i am tall and need either a 60 or 61cm frame.

Evans seems to have a lot of good stock, in a good range of bikes at competitive prices, with finance. Seems a no brainer to me, but i have of course heard horror stories in the past. Does anybody have any modern day feedback for Evans cycles?

good service or not?

cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

The test ride experience in Evans is pretty crappy compared to most decent independent bike shops. I've used. They made me leave a card, and put through a refundable transaction of a quid the only time I tried it. Its not the money I object to, more the crappy customer experience.

Every LBS I've used just let me hop on and ride. As others have said, any half way reasonable bike shop will order in whatever frame size you need, and may even be able to measure you up and work out precisely what size/geometry from the various brands will fit you best.

If you must finance the bike, surely other options such as opening a 0% credit card deal makes more sense?

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I go into Evans I won't be looking for advice really, I do most of my own research and don't like to be 'sold' things after a long time in retail. I would simply be going in to buy/order the bike I want, or test ride my short list. So people here find the test rides they provide handy? Or does it once again depend on the store?

MT63 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Evans are good at selling you a bike. It's the follow up service, in my opinion, that is terrible. When I had problems with the last bike I bought from them they just weren't interested. On my actual last visit there was a queue of seven people at the counter, five of them were there either to get a problem sorted or to complain! So your initial cheaper price could cost you in the long run. Personally I will never set foot through their doors again.

surly_by_name | 9 years ago
0 likes

Errrrr ... kind of depends on which Evans you go to, I've had enthusiatic service in some branches and ignorance/apathy in others. Go and have a chat to them. If you strike up a rapport with the staff its probably going to work out just fine. If, on the other hand, they suck, don't give them your money.

On the other hand, a comment that applies to all Evans stores: they will sell you what they stock. They won't have an off piste solution for any unique issues that you might have.

giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't have thought there would be an issue with the LBS ordering a bike in for you. If they are worth their salt they will measure you up and then order the respective bike. If you don't like it they will keep it as they can sell it on. Evans and the likes hold large stock but only because that allows them to keep the price down. Problem is I've overheard some s***** advice been given by Evans staff. Few months back I was in having a nosey at the Hoy bikes and this staff member was trying to sell a sportive bike to some bloke who was just wanting to commute with the cycle to work scheme. No suggestions of guards panniers or anything like that. All depends on what you want the bike for.

As for the finance, why enter an agreement where you are going to pay another 10 % of the value of the bike. A small loan from the bank would have a lower APR.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you are just buying a mass manufactured bike, Evans is as good a place as any, they give test runs, have mechanics and assist with warranty, so why not?

A bit like a modern car dealer.

Personally, for me, if the LBS don't do it, I just use the cheapest, Evans doesn't excite me.

Miles253 replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

What would class as a non mass market bike? Something custom or bespoke?

Also do they do a bike fit with a purchase?

Latest Comments