Home

Right, my team is picked, transfers planned for stages 2,3,4 and 5 already. (Ho ho ho)

Have left out some big names so a little bit of a gamble for stages 1 and 2.

And no, I'm not posting my team yet.

162 comments

ray silvester [1836 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

It was basically a case of picking two of the big 3 sprinters(Cav,Kittel)and then adding the next 3 in the pecking order(Demare,Viviani,Modolo).....then a couple of guys who could feature in reduced bunch sprints in the opening handful of stages(Navardauskas,Haussler)followed by the obligatory BSE man for breaks(Bideau) and then a kind of random 3.0er(Pichot).

Cav and Kittel will most likely come out tomorrow for Sagan and either Paolini(if raining) or Slagter (if dry).

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I've gone with

Kittel
Demare
Greipel
Kristoff
DVP
Dempster
Bideau
Taaramae
Pichot

Unless my power comes back on I won't be watching any LIVE coverage  102

Joelsim [1975 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Viviani is solely on lead out duty for Sagan.

I've gone for:

Sagan
Kittel
Demare
Modolo
Kristoff
Haussler
Bideau
Voss
Gerard

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Viviani is solely on lead out duty for Sagan.

I've gone for:

Sagan
Kittel
Demare
Modolo
Kristoff
Haussler
Bideau
Voss
Gerard

Remember the last time you besmirched one of my picks.....Roy the Boy in the TDS ITT?

0 likes

Ha ha, yes.

It's always the kiss of death for me. Viviani will win today accordingly

0 likes

Basically it's your Kristoff + Voss against my Viviani+Navardauskas....and don't forget Viv is eligible for White too!!

0 likes

Viviani has it so far. For someone who is supposed to be targeting the points jersey Kristoff didn't even join the intermediate sprint

VVV73 [408 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

CAV is the biggest whinging dog to ever ride a bike, fancy calling other people dangerous. He had absolutely no right to do that( thinks he got right away all the time), ruined his and Gerrans TDF prob and many more , first day. WHAT A TOOL!  14

0 likes

I agree. Nobody to blame but himself.

How is Gerrans?

0 likes

How is Gerrans?

CXR94Di2 [1122 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Sad incident for all those caught up, pointless comments about whose fault it might of been.

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

How is Gerrans?

Not sure Joel, I am shattered. I will be staying up till I hear news.
I thought he could win tomorrow, and even maybe wear yellow.

0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Sad incident for all those caught up, pointless comments about whose fault it might of been.

Have you heard Cav whinge every tour about dangerous riders and riders who shouldn't be there. You can't defend that , he was WAY OUT OF LINE. everyone called Cadel a dog in Giro (he didn't endanger any lives), yet Cav's is going to break someone's neck one day.
I actually made a comment to mate 12 hours earlier about Cav pushing into other teams trains back in the day!

let me Guess, Your British  1

madindehead [37 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Looking at it, can't say anyone was specifically at fault. Doors closed around both of them, Gerrans went for Sagan's wheel, with Cav right next to him.

Garrans was slightly ahead of Cav, so overall it's hard to say who is at fault.

stevemarks [470 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
VVV73 wrote:

CAV is the biggest whinging dog to ever ride a bike, fancy calling other people dangerous. He had absolutely no right to do that( thinks he got right away all the time), ruined his and Gerrans TDF prob and many more , first day. WHAT A TOOL!  14

Funny, when I saw that your comment was the latest on this forum thread I knew instantly that you would be whining like a bitch that Cavendish was at fault and poor Gerrans was the victim. How did I know that? You have not got a clue from those TV images what actually happened, or what goes on in a pro sprint finish. Maybe Cav was at fault maybe not but for sure there is only one tool involved here.... You are such a Pomme!

thefatcyclist [543 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Coquard caused the crash ultimately, Cavendish and Gerrans had untangled, then Coquard hit Gerrans, who's wheel crossed in front of Cav, then both down.
Cavendish was leaning into Gerrans to start with, but Gerrans was riding with his elbows right out, and it was so spread out peeling off riders were not able to clear.

But I blaim Cancellara in fact, because his jump of the nose, which was never going to succeed in a month of Monday's caused chaos in the sprint teams.

I hope both are ok tho'

thefatcyclist [543 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Coquard caused the crash ultimately, Cavendish and Gerrans had untangled, then Coquard hit Gerrans, who's wheel crossed in front of Cav, then both down.
Cavendish was leaning into Gerrans to start with, but Gerrans was riding with his elbows right out, and it was so spread out peeling off riders were not able to clear.

But I blaim Cancellara in fact, because his jump of the nose, which was never going to succeed in a month of Monday's caused chaos in the sprint teams.

I hope both are ok tho'

0 likes
madindehead wrote:

Looking at it, can't say anyone was specifically at fault. Doors closed around both of them, Gerrans went for Sagan's wheel, with Cav right next to him.

Garrans was slightly ahead of Cav, so overall it's hard to say who is at fault.

UMMM, Cav was at 45 degrees nearly leaning all over Gerrans, Gramae Brown got kicked off tour few years ago for nodding his head into shoulder of CAV(protected species) BTW this forums seems to be only one thinks otherwise.

philjthommo30 minutes ago
Looked like Cav caused that crash by trying to push gerro out?
+12

notworthaToot29 minutes ago

Kind of looked that way.
+5

philjthommo26 minutes ago

Much like last years crash where Cav changes his line and expects others to move over.
+9

mickeypius23 minutes ago

i agree. cav wants to win so much he looses his head. what a massive shame for all the riders involved.
+6
vassosa22 minutes ago

I said that here before, you may look on the internet for that. Oscar Freire said that Cavendish was a dangerous man. He said Cav sprints are known for causing too much falls and he should get penalized more often. Though the interview was some years ago, that still looks to be correct.
+5

From Major Cycling site, check all the Plus's next to these comments  1

0 likes

I fear that Cav's collar bone is broken, and that his Tour is over.

0 likes
madindehead wrote:

I fear that Cav's collar bone is broken, and that his Tour is over.

Broken Clavicle ALL DAY, just where he was holding it and most commen injury for jockeys etc going str8 over horse (handlebars) and broken Scaphoids(wrist).
I know  1

0 likes

I'm merely commenting on what I saw. Is no one allowed to have an open mind anymore? No we all have to suddenly jump on the blame wagon? And saying "a major cycling site" doesn't help, since there are a lot of cycling forums...

dreamlx10 [153 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Cavendish caused it, that much is obvious from the footage on TV. He panicked and leaned into Gerrans causing Gerrans to crash.

surly_by_name [356 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

TV footage isn't particularly helpful, mostly because overhead shot is focused out in front of the crash. Looked to me like Cav decided he needed to get out from behind a wheel to accelerate and Gerrans was in the space Cav wanted to be in. Gerrans was slightly in front of Cav and either didn't see him or more likely figured he didn't have to give way to Cav (including because having Cav boxed is a good thing if you are trying to win a sprint). So Cav ended up leaning on Gerrans. You can do this for a nano second but you have to bring your bike underneath you or it all goes wrong. Gerrans ability to drift left (to allow Cav to bring his bike underneath him) was shut down when Cocquard came over his left shoulder and forced Gerrans back right at which point the two of them went down. I'm not sure it matters whose "fault" it was. Gerrans seemed to get run over by a Cofidis rider as well, which I imagine only added to his general sense of happiness about the whole finish.

0 likes
thefatcyclist wrote:

I hope both are ok tho'

Might as well blame Cofidis too then, for taking off then shitting themselves on hill and upsetting trains on right side (LTB/Giant) ?

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Unfortunately a crash is part and parcel of a tour de France sprint stage  26

Not our place to be throwing accusations around regardless of what ever our national bias might be!?  45

0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:

TV footage isn't particularly helpful, mostly because overhead shot is focused out in front of the crash. Looked to me like Cav decided he needed to get out from behind a wheel to accelerate and Gerrans was in the space Cav wanted to be in. Gerrans was slightly in front of Cav and either didn't see him or more likely figured he didn't have to give way to Cav (including because having Cav boxed is a good thing if you are trying to win a sprint). So Cav ended up leaning on Gerrans. You can do this for a nano second but you have to bring your bike underneath you or it all goes wrong. Gerrans ability to drift left (to allow Cav to bring his bike underneath him) was shut down when Cocquard came over his left shoulder and forced Gerrans back right at which point the two of them went down. I'm not sure it matters whose "fault" it was. Gerrans seemed to get run over by a Cofidis rider as well, which I imagine only added to his general sense of happiness about the whole finish.

So you saying Cav puts on his blinker and everyone has to et out of his way ? ok

cgipryan [201 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure gravity is to blame...

0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

Unfortunately a crash is part and parcel of a tour de France sprint stage  26

Not our place to be throwing accusations around regardless of what ever our national bias might be!?  45

Cav does every time he gets beat!
I am not anti British at all, I am ANTI -CAV always have been always will be, Greipel is the nicest sprinter there. ( he cry's every time he loses its never his fault gets up his tema mates) ( yet his best days were when he ALWAYS had ANZAC lead outs, renshaw, hendeson)

0 likes

1,2,7,12 for me today. No idea what to do for tomorrow now.

drheaton [3318 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

In a situation like this that could so easily mean the end of a riders race throwing accusations and blame around is pointless, especially when it is so coloured by nationality. It's clear VVV73 that whenever Aussies are involved you lose the ability to be reasoned, if Cav and Gerrans' positions were reversed you would have still come to the same conclusions and be calling for Cav to be booted from the race for it.

If nothing else if Cav is out then it is very sad for the race. Cav, in Britain, would have been a huge pull, especially for Monday, and actually seeing a fit Cav vs Kittel and Griepel would have been great, now we'll have to wait another year for a chance at a proper sprint showdown.

Pages