Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling route to TDF Stage 2

Thanks in advance for any local knowledge.
I am camping at Harewood House over the weekend and would like to ride out to watch the riders on stage 2.
Would like to meet up with them at some point between Harrogate and Keighley.
Hope someone can give some details of a nice route out that avoids most of the fast A roads and is fairly easy to follow.

Local knowledge much appreciated
Thanks
Greg

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I might take an old tin bath, put casters on it and ride down a grassy hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80sSbLzSuak

0 likes

Great. Thanks for that. Now, what to do on a roadside verge in Yorkshire for 3 hours?

giff77 replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Great. Thanks for that. Now, what to do on a roadside verge in Yorkshire for 3 hours?

My mate and I found ourselves on a lay-by on the coast road for stage 2 of the Giro. Had a camping stove so it was cooked breakfast and fresh coffee while we waited much to the disgust of a handful of unprepared spectators. Also had a 3G signal so could pick up commentary while we waited. Stage 3 was much the same. Unclassified road, camp stove another cooked breakfast and fresh coffee before a short walk to the KOM. Was great fun watching the bigger crowds licking their chops as they passed us on the way to the summit. Only disappointment was, no 3G as we were in the middle of nowhere.

Yorkshie Whippet replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Leave the sheep alone, they are reserved for us locals. Apparently mine's called Woolina.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Council websites say 30min to an hour depending on when the ASO vehicle passes.

0 likes

How long before the Caravanne passes through will the roads be open to cyclists?

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

As others have said the quickest and easiest route would be to follow Stage 1 to Addingham, A659 through Otley and Ilkley. I would imagine this could be very slow in a car as the road will be closed at Addingham for Stage 2.

The back road from Otley, Askwith to Ilkley is nice. It can be combined with another road from the back of Ilkey to Bolton Abbey. All though I can see locals using this as a rat run to avoid A659. About 23 miles

An alternative is simply to follow Harrogate Road from Harewood until you hit the route.

Or Harrogate Road to Poole, over the bridge and take the next left on a righthand corner signposted Leathley. Follow the road until a right, I think it's signpost Farnley or possibly Norwood B6451. Stay on this road and eventually you'll hit the route around Blubberhouses. Oh by the way Norwood Bank will hurt, I mean really hurt. About 15 mile each way.

Hope this helps

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had a quick google peek quicker route into Otley A 659 via pool in wharfedale (can be busy) there are other routes but more off the beaten track (longer, hillier well it is Yorkshire! )

From Otley go via Askwith with to Ilkley, I used to cycle that as a lad.

Ilkley to Keighley a bit on the A65 then off at cocking wood.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are plenty of country lanes to take you from Harewood to Keighley or Harrogate. I tend to browse google maps and plan route in cycle mode. It gives you a good idea of which are the quieter lanes. Unfortunately you will touch in parts some A roads. But a route towards Ilkley via Otley on the back roads is nice. From Ilkley once heading towards Addingham you can get off the A roads and into the lanes over to Keighley. Hope that helps a little Andy

greg43 replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much. I have been looking at Google maps but did not know if there was anything I should avoid. Will look at your ideas on Google maps.

Greg

Latest Comments