Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Going batty!

Someone suggested to me there were sports glasses that it was possible to clip prescription lenses to...i have varifocals and curved lenses distort the 'script apparently. At least that is what i have been told. I am about to get new glasses so i was hoping to get a prescription pair of curved sport glasses but its no go...unless anyone here has different experience. Otherwise i would appreciate any pointers towards glasses that i can clip lenses in...the battiness is because i cannot seem to put together an effective internet search.  20

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Still not sure who the Oakley suppliers were. However, I notice you're in Bolton. I'm just down in South Manchester if you want to check out the tinted or clear Bolles I have. PM me if interested.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

You probably thought of this, but... laser eye surgery?

Had this done 7 years ago, haven't 'looked back' since.

Probably saved it back with not buying specs/contacts since...!

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

What's your prescription? Mine is -6.5 and -6.75, with a bit of astigmatism to take them up to about -8.00 each. I found two places that could satisfy this with a decent curved lens and a sports design. I ended up with Bolle specs, of which I've now bought a 2nd pair. They aren't cheap - think they were £250-£300 a pair, but with eyesight like mine, the one thing I don't skimp on is my specs.

I posted this initially when searching:
http://road.cc/content/forum/48655-prescription-cycling-specs

Then posted this after buying the first pair:
http://road.cc/content/forum/50798-prescription-cycling-specs-update

Following on from that, Bolle's labs were indeed updated and my second pair took less than 3 weeks from ordering to wearing them.

I didn't opt for inserts because I have long lashes that would have smudged the surface. Inserts can also have a problem with fogging.

The other place is a website, but I can't recall the name (I'll search and post back on here). Think I could opt for my prescription in an Oakley radarlock frame for something like £230. However, there was no mention of how they were achieving such a strong prescription in a curved frame. As per the link above, Bolle were using some clever patented algorithm to vary the thickness across the curve so as to ensure the correct prescription in any given area while minimising the edge thickness. I have no idea what the lens would look like in the Oakleys though (note it wasn't Oakley offering the service, they won't go higher than -5). Hence, I had more confidence in the higher-priced Bolles.

robert posts child | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies.

I cant wear contacts. I have dry eyes, and despite plugs in the drainage for my eyes i have to have artificial tears. Contacts would abrade my corneas.

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Rudy Project glasses with prescription insert. An older version of this:

http://www.rudyproject.com/products/glasses/exception-evo-std/antrachite...

The good: easy to get your local optometrist to work on them, replace lenses, etc. Generally well-made product. Look like Erik Zabel.

The bad: the prescription lens is closer to your eye. It's to keep the lens off my eyelashes.

One day I caught a bee in my helmet. I pulled the helmet off, flung the glasses to the ground, and rode over them. Rudy Project replaced them for a nominal charge.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Contact lenses and sunglasses work for me fine.* Give them a try, or another try, even Dailies, they will make you look younger too.

*Also work with 3d glasses in the cinema.

movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have Smith Pivlock V90 sunglasses (they also make a V90 Max for larger faces) that take a prescription insert. Unless there's a severe downpour they never fog up and stay secure on my face no matter how choppy the terrain is. They also provide good eye coverage to keep grit and bugs out when you're riding with excellent optical quality for good visibility. Like all Smith frames they have a lifetime warranty. I've had mine for over 3 years and they still look almost new. Changing out the lenses is also pretty easy although I've found it easier just to have two separate frames, one for high sun and another for night/low light.

http://www.smithoptics.com/Root/Collections/Evolve/Sunglasses/Pivlock-V9...

You can have your optician fill the prescription insert which is also available through Smith
http://www.smithoptics.com/Root/Men%27s/Prescription/Sunglasses/ODS2-RX-...

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use Rudy projects with a clip-in insert. most
places don't do vari focal but my optician was
more than happy to re glaze the insert to my
current prescription:)

happy days !

Latest Comments