Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Team Sky line up for TdF

Here you go:

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30906_9363512,00.html

Please try not to turn this into a doping argument!  102

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

dp24 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

"We'd like to think that there's a future for Bradley"

I think it's time for Bradley to start looking for a new team.

dafyddp | 9 years ago
0 likes

We don't need 'Britain's Greatest Ever Cyclist', we need 'Britain's Best Ever Team'. In Wiggo's case they're mutually exclusive.

At best, he's a lone wolf. At worst, a prima donna. Of course time trials are his thing!

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Average age of the team is 32 (I haven't worked it out, that's according to Dave Brailsford) and youngest member is G at 28. I wonder how that compares with the other teams.

For me there's a big question mark over Richie Porte. I guess he's earned his place on past efforts riding for his pal, but 2014 has been rubbish for him so far.

As for Wiggins, he was given a challenge at last year's Giro and he tanked. There's no room for sentimentality when it comes to picking a Tour team.

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go Gee!!!!  4

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are so many unknowns that it is difficult to comment... could be that Wiggins doesn't want to ride as a water carrier, might be that Froome simply doesn't want the guy on the team.

Certainly the 'threat' of another Froome/Wiggins bust up must be front of mind when considering team dynamics.

What frustrates me is the manner that Sky have seemingly kept Wiggins hanging around for the past couple of years when everyone and anyone can see that the team have made the decision to back Froome.

Maybe its Wiggins not taking a hint (which may or may not be because of the support structure available though Team Sky), maybe its mixed messages, but IMO Wiggins should have left the team at the end of last year so that his career hadn't been put on permanent hold.

If you listen to interviews, and read press releases, the guy is wanting a challenge... give him a challenge and he goes and gets it... Sky are not letting him set himself a decent challenge.

That in my mind is poor work from Sky... they are simply pissing one of the greatest talents in the sport down the drain. It doesn't matter how much of a diva and dick Wiggins may, or may not be, its still their responsibility to maximise his potential.

badback | 9 years ago
0 likes

From what I've read, seen and heard I think the clue's in the word 'team' why Wiggo didn't get picked.

Must have been a very difficult call for Sir Dave though.

I'll be interested to see how Sky do this Tour as I think they may find it more difficult than other years to stay in yellow.

Bring it on......

Chuck | 9 years ago
0 likes

Should they just keep selecting him every year regardless until he retires then?
I'm not saying he's past it or anything, but he's got to justify his selection, "Britain's greatest ever cyclist" or not.

gdmor10 replied to Chuck | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do see your point but he is also fit to ride as well.

Personally I struggle to like Chris Froome, he reminds of people who I have worked with would could in a room sitting beside you for 30 minutes without you noticing, I prefer people that make an impact as soon as they enter.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Britain's greatest ever cyclist not selected by British team for British start of the Tour de France, say that out loud a few times and see how it sounds.

I reckon this wont turn out well for Team Sky, the public wont like it.

Latest Comments