Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone know if its possible to ride to etihad stadium along canal?

Hi, i need to ride from manchester picc railway station to sport city. Is it possible to ride along the canal ,instead of using the roads? Anyone know, I would be grateful. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, as stated above it's easy. To be honest though the road route is simple and not in the least bit difficult. Just exit picadilly and go down the sloped approach, left onto London road and then left again onto Store street. Then straight on to the standium. It's a wide and none too busy route, it'll only tkae 5/10 mins.

The tow path isn't in the least bit dangrous as stated above (I run down there quite frequently), but the surface is not consistent so i just use the road when cycling.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you pop into the library or council offices they have stands with free cycle maps. They are basically a free OS map with cycle routes super imposed over them. If you are still stumped you can look at the satellite image on google maps for the same footprint.

farrell replied to MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes
MKultra wrote:

If you pop into the library or council offices they have stands with free cycle maps. They are basically a free OS map with cycle routes super imposed over them. If you are still stumped you can look at the satellite image on google maps for the same footprint.

Bit tricky to do that for some of the canals in the city centre due to them using tunnels.

Some you can get through, some are blocked off, some smell of violent sexual assault and are probably best avoided. You can't gauge that from Google maps.

Yet.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bhachgen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes it is. The Ashton Canal goes right past, though last time I did it I found the signage a bit inconsistent.

If you head out of the front of the station, right on Store Street, left on Jutland Street, then right on Ducie Street, you should see some blue signs on the right directing you onto the towpath. Some of it is a bit cobble-y.

robert posts child replied to Bhachgen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thats great, very helpful. I had some confusing route map responses. On one, I was directed to turn right on ducie but not where,looking at the map it apppeared to be canal, but i wanted to check. I had assumed tow path, after all i chose cycling as the option, not swimming...  26 ...thanks nothing beats a human with experience imo..

farrell replied to Bhachgen | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bhachgen wrote:

Yes it is. The Ashton Canal goes right past, though last time I did it I found the signage a bit inconsistent.

If you head out of the front of the station, right on Store Street, left on Jutland Street, then right on Ducie Street, you should see some blue signs on the right directing you onto the towpath. Some of it is a bit cobble-y.

Or, if you want to keep it simpler, head out of the station via Piccadilly approach straight on to Ducie Street, turn right and head up Ducie street. On your right hand side you will see a big old sign painted on a building that says "H.A. Howard Day and Evening Wear, turn down the path there and you'll be on the canal.

Latest Comments