Pain from eyewear

by tweekysenior   June 23, 2014  

Quite often during a ride my sunglasses start to give me pain on both sides of my head behind my ears. The only way to alleviate the pain is to remove my eyewear, which obviously I'd prefer not to do. I have tried different glasses and some are worse than others in the rate at which the pain starts. The ones I have at the moment have the lightest fit but still cause problems on rides more than 90 minutes or so long.

Anyone else get this and any ideas what this pain is and any thoughts on how to get rid?

14 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

took mine to my optician ... she then "fitted" them for me - tenner well spent Smile

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [768 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 9:41

3 Likes

I've had similar from some pairs of sunglasses. I've not had this problem since I started having to wear prescription eyewear. Having an optician fit them does make a difference.

Some sunglasses have hinges that are spring-loaded, with a little outward movement to account for head size. I have these types of hinges on a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers for instance, which made them a first choice for conversion to prescription use by my optician when I went in for some new varifocals. Some brands other than Ray Ban also offer this type of hinge as well so have a look for it.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2308 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 9:59

4 Likes

I've had a similar pain but later traced it to my helmet being too tight, so dialled it back a notch and the pain went away. Used the same glasses ever since, and no pain.

posted by chokofingrz [320 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 11:43

3 Likes

Sounds like we have the same thing as looseneing straps does help for a couple of minutes.. after that it's remove glasses or suffer... wonder what it is?

posted by tweekysenior [9 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 12:14

2 Likes

I've found the best I can get is from a set of Madison D'arcs.... simply becasue, being quite cheap, they do not have very robust arms and do flex out a bit.

posted by tweekysenior [9 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 12:16

3 Likes

It sounds like your glasses are too tight. I had similar pain when (and please don't laugh at this) my daughter made me wear her Minie Mouse ears at Disneyland. I forgot I was wearing them and after a time started getting a sore head. Eventually I took the ears of and the pain went. The ears were pressing my head in the same place as the legs of glasses sit and I've had the same problem when wearing glasses which are too tight.

posted by Beatnik69 [153 posts]
24th June 2014 - 11:29

5 Likes

Laughing

Beatnik69 wrote:
and please don't laugh at this

posted by beekie1 [8 posts]
24th June 2014 - 12:03

3 Likes

I also find that glasses which have been fitted by an optician are usually more comfortable. A cheap service to alleviate miles of pain!

posted by Graham89 [1 posts]
24th June 2014 - 12:40

3 Likes

Beatnik69 wrote:
It sounds like your glasses are too tight. I had similar pain when (and please don't laugh at this) my daughter made me wear her Minie Mouse ears at Disneyland. I forgot I was wearing them and after a time started getting a sore head. Eventually I took the ears of and the pain went. The ears were pressing my head in the same place as the legs of glasses sit and I've had the same problem when wearing glasses which are too tight.

I may be stuffed then as the Madison D'arcs I wear are pretty cheap, lightweight and don't feel tight...perhaps I'm just unfortunately sensitive in that spot!

posted by tweekysenior [9 posts]
24th June 2014 - 12:47

3 Likes

I got a pair of glasses from Decathlon with interchangable lenses which might do the trick as they rubber bits on the end of the legs are very flexible and don't really dig in. Orao Arroyo they are called.

posted by Beatnik69 [153 posts]
24th June 2014 - 14:06

3 Likes

Beatnik69 wrote:
I got a pair of glasses from Decathlon with interchangable lenses which might do the trick as they rubber bits on the end of the legs are very flexible and don't really dig in. Orao Arroyo they are called.

I'll have a look, cheers.

posted by tweekysenior [9 posts]
24th June 2014 - 14:46

3 Likes

I have this quite often, on and off the bike. I just slightly change the angle the glasses are at, therefore changing where the ends are resting, this is easier to do with some than others. I have a large head and some are worse than others; the ones with curved sides as they dig in more. Just have to also accept some glasses won't fit me.

posted by dottigirl [22 posts]
25th June 2014 - 11:20

1 Like

Could you not place the end(s) of the arms in a cup of warm water then (carefully) bend them outwards to alleviate the pressure?

FATBEGGARONABIKE's picture

posted by FATBEGGARONABIKE [605 posts]
26th June 2014 - 17:52

1 Like

FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:
Could you not place the end(s) of the arms in a cup of warm water then (carefully) bend them outwards to alleviate the pressure?

Think I'll give that a go as they are detachable arms and cheap to replace if it all goes horribly wrong!

posted by tweekysenior [9 posts]
27th June 2014 - 11:23

1 Like