Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Bike Build - Component Advice

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a new bike for commuting/Audax/light touring. Tempted by a condor fratello however when assembling a bike of desired components on the bike builder, it seems rather expensive. I'm thinking have become comfortable with bike maintenance over the last few years, the satisfaction of building my own may be a good project. (any may save a few quid). Here is my list of components:

Bike Components:

Condor Fratello Frameset £600
Shimano 105 170mm 34/50 - 12-25 Cassette - 34.9mm FD £275.00 (Merlin Cycles)
Brake set (BR 650) £63 (Wiggle)
Shimano R501 £100 CRC
Tyres - Gatorskins (already have)
Fizik Arione £50 (Wiggle)
Tifosi carbon seat post £32 (Wiggle)
Deda Zero 1 Stem (black) £16 (Ribble)
Deda Rhm 01 Handlebars £15 (Ribble)
Fizik handlebar tape £9 (Total cycling)
2x Inner brake cable £5 CRC
Shimano road gear cable set £13 (Wiggle)

Assembled by condor
£1605

Self build:
£1178

Extras
SKS chromoplastics 25 (Tredz)
Tortek expidition ultralight 25 (Evans)
Pedals (already have)

Are there any glaring errors in terms of compatibility you spot or any weak point that could be swapped out at the same price? (or any minor pieces of kit i've missed). Additionally I've never fitted a bottom bracket. From my reading the shimano units are more straight forward than alternatives, however, do I need to look at investing in a torque wrench? (or any other pieces of kit beyond the basic hex, philips, wrench I've needed so far)

Many thanks for your help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a great bike. I didn't see a headset on your shopping list. And does the frame come with a seat post clamp?

What is in the Shimano 105 kit you are buying from Merlin Cycles? Usually when you buy the shifters in the retail packaging it includes the brake and derailleur cables and housing.

In my view the weak point of your bike is the wheels, but they are very cheap, so I can't suggest a better option at that price.

A torque wrench for use on small stuff (stems, seatposts, cables) is an important tool to own, especially when working with light carbon or aluminum tubing. Using a torque wrench will also train your hand to know when to stop. Highly recommended. But with limited funds I would be tempted to spend any extra money on the wheels.

Given your limited funds, I would avoid buying any tools that you will use rarely, like the bottom-bracket wrench. Borrow from a friend. If you have no such friends, go on a group ride and tell someone what you are doing.

Latest Comments