Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

1st Bike

Can anyone help? I'm looking for my first road bike and have been looking at both the Planet X RT-58 and the Ribble 7005 Sportive special edition. There both listed at the same price (599 quid) and I was wondering if anyone that owns either bike can tell me it's good/bad points or suggest alternatives. It also needs to be from a supplier that does European delivery as I live in Germany.

Any information/help much appreciated  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

EnglishmanAbroad | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not so bothered about the tyre sizes it's going to be on the turbo trainer in winter in the spare room, I have a mtb for cutting about on during the freezing German winter.

mini123lol | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know it isn't on the list you have but I brought a 2014 board man road sport limited from halfords for an amazing price of £500 Its a great bike and the spec is generous for the price just don't be put off by halfords  3

don simon fbpe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought a 7005 frame and fork and had them sent out to Spain with no issues. It's a nice enough frame for the money. I can't see what components are specced and this is what I think will have a big effect.
Last winter I bought one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-wiggle-exclusive/ and am very happy with it as a winter bike, ride is a bit harsh though on these horribly bumpy British roads. It'd be fine in Germany if the tarmac is smooth like the Spanish roads.
Can't comment on Planet X except their customer service seems to be getting a bit of a bashing at the moment.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd go for the Planet X, because it comes with and almost complete Shimano Tiagra 10-speed groupset and Shimano's excellent entry-level R-500 wheelset with Continental tyres.

The Ribble by contrast has Shimano Sora 9-speed and a Rodi Airline wheelset. My mate's bike had a set of Rodis and they were heavy.

You could also have a look at the B'Twin Triban range, very highly rated by this site and by owners, and around your price point, available from Decathlon.

But ultimately, go for the one you want!

Derny replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

Personally I'd go for the Planet X, because it comes with and almost complete Shimano Tiagra 10-speed groupset and Shimano's excellent entry-level R-500 wheelset with Continental tyres.

All other things being equal I would make the same choice.

The things that might make me choose differently would be issues of fit or comfort (only knowable by riding it). I would also want to know if there are any issues fitting tyres larger than 700x23 on either bike.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Both are very good, I would select whichever of the two you like the look of.

Latest Comments