Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Calling all Planet X RT58 owners.

I'm looking for some opinions on this bike as I am considering buying one in the very near future.

In particular I'd like to hear how you'd compare it to other bikes you have/have had - especially if you have previously had a Planet X SL Pro/Pro Carbon.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I rented a Pro Carbon (size large) on holiday recently and really liked it. I'm 5' 11" with 32" in seam and the fit was perfect. It absolutely flew up hills compared to my actual bike (a Giant Defy Advanced 2), possibly down to having a lower front end compared to mine.

eezytiger | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had mine with Rival 22 for just over a year and over 6,000 miles. It's my winter/wet workhorse as I have a Rose Xeon CDX with Di2 as my summer/dry bike. I have been really impressed with the RT-58 and the value for money - mine was £500 (plus pedals, carbon seat tube upgrade and saddle upgrade) during a short offer period in June last year - is exceptional.

The only obvious weak point is the wheels. I've had a rear bearing go - corroded - and I think the fronts are also past their best. I've also had several spoke breakages in the rear wheel. I'm 86kg, so should not really be putting undue stress on the wheels. To be fair, one break was due to the rear mech getting caught following a fall, but then I've had a pothole break and another break for no obvious reason at all. In contrast my summer bike has covered 3,750 miles in a year and has had no mechanical defects of any kind.

The RT-58 is on its third chain and second cassette, despite reasonable efforts at cleanliness and lubing throughout the year. The SRAM 1130 chain is only good for about 2.5k miles. Again the Rose is still going strong on original Ultegra components. Of course, the Planet X is subjected to the worst weather conditions and cost 20% of the price of the Rose (before upgrades), so I can cut it some slack. I've ridden 100 mile sportives on it and many 100 mile touring club rides over the year. It is comfortable, efficient and a really good ride for the money.

I also have a Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra 6800 bike. The better quality shows in the wheels especially, but for £800 (another good deal last December) it is a cracking bit of kit. I've been using it as my winter trainer (2.2k miles) and only covered 50 miles on the road, but it is also comfortable, quiet and rapid. I don't like the mechanical Ultegra gear shift system as much as Rival 22, but then I prefer Di2 over both.  1

I would happily buy Planet X again (Excocet 3?  21 and recommend the brand to anyone.

p.s. I got a few PRs for Strava segments as a solo rider in this sportive last year on the RT-58 - https://www.strava.com/activities/349500793

Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Whoops, missed your reply. Sorry... Nope, no flex that I've spotted so far. I'm not a sprinter, mind, so that's based purely on my experience grinding up hills.

Gareth W-R | 9 years ago
0 likes

Toe overlap happens but happens on my Cinelli too so its not really a big issue for me. I would have loved to read an official review but would not make a huge difference really. Still a great bike to ride. Only downside so far is in wet weather water accumulates in the frame which is normal. Only thing is there are no drain holes in the stays or bb area, its an upside down jobby.

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wasn't the RT-58 supposed to be given a review/test on road.cc? I seem to remember reading that one had been sent to their offices for that purpose but a review somehow never materialised. That, or my search fu is broken.  7

Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've now had the RT-58 for three weeks and 220 miles, and I'm very pleased with it. I'm 5'11" and went for the large size, and it seems a very good fit — and there's no toe overlap for me...

That said, it's taken me a while to get it set up how I like it, but that's nothing to do with the bike — and, with no post-purchase fit check, the pre-purchase bike 'fitting' from an LBS was largely a waste of money.

My longest ride so far has been 50 miles and I did finish with a bit of a stiff back so there's still some tweaking to be done. The riding position isn't too extreme, though, and it's a much smoother ride than my alu Fuji, despite the narrower tyres (23mm compared to 25mm).

It's very light (compared to my Fuji, at least) and feels fast — though it's actually not that much faster in practice. It does respond extremely quickly when I go for it, though.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

redmeat replied to Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes
Adlopa wrote:

I've now had the RT-58 for three weeks and 220 miles, and I'm very pleased with it. I'm 5'11" and went for the large size, and it seems a very good fit — and there's no toe overlap for me...

That said, it's taken me a while to get it set up how I like it, but that's nothing to do with the bike — and, with no post-purchase fit check, the pre-purchase bike 'fitting' from an LBS was largely a waste of money.

My longest ride so far has been 50 miles and I did finish with a bit of a stiff back so there's still some tweaking to be done. The riding position isn't too extreme, though, and it's a much smoother ride than my alu Fuji, despite the narrower tyres (23mm compared to 25mm).

It's very light (compared to my Fuji, at least) and feels fast — though it's actually not that much faster in practice. It does respond extremely quickly when I go for it, though.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Hi Adlopa, thanks for your comments. Have you any hint of flex in the frame at all, especially in the BB when giving it beans or mashing up hill?

The Acai | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had one of these for 4 weeks now. I'm 5'6" and got the xs. After the initial love affair - 2 rides, I'm finding the stupid amount of toe overlap is really making me dislike this bike. It's had me on the deck twice and on today's ride I had three issues with it, one of which was a scary incident at a busy junction. Maybe I'll get used to it and adjust accordingly, but at the minute my thoughts are; expensive mistake and ebay.

redmeat replied to The Acai | 9 years ago
0 likes
The Acai wrote:

I've had one of these for 4 weeks now. I'm 5'6" and got the xs. After the initial love affair - 2 rides, I'm finding the stupid amount of toe overlap is really making me dislike this bike. It's had me on the deck twice and on today's ride I had three issues with it, one of which was a scary incident at a busy junction. Maybe I'll get used to it and adjust accordingly, but at the minute my thoughts are; expensive mistake and ebay.

Please let me know if you go down this route!

Gareth W-R | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have one and it rides fantastic, feels light and comfy, I have a Campag build. It definitely feels quicker than my other bike but unfortunately has not made 10 minutes worth of difference on similar rides lol
I am 5 ft 6 and have an xs, fits great, well worth it.

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pants,
I forgot to mention I had got a new hip fitter in September so the new bike was a present to myself. So better bike and new hip equals 10 minutes.

kennethsross | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks 'pants'

Appreciate you pulling that thread up - I had searched before posting, but had put a hyphen in (RT-58) - I guess that's why I didn't see that one.

Very happy to hear any other comments on this thread, or on the one I started today - " Pro Carbon or RT-58 ? "

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got to be in matt black.

Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm hoping to pick up my Ultegra build next week — I too could no longer resist...

I'm 5'11 with a ~31" inside leg and went for a large size, although I did go for a fitting to establish that. I'll let you know more once I've ridden it, though it's my first Planet X bike.

redmeat replied to Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes
Adlopa wrote:

I'm hoping to pick up my Ultegra build next week — I too could no longer resist...

I'm 5'11 with a ~31" inside leg and went for a large size, although I did go for a fitting to establish that. I'll let you know more once I've ridden it, though it's my first Planet X bike.

What are you currently riding?

Adlopa replied to redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

A flat-bar alu road bike at the moment, so my insight may not be all that worthwhile...

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again Al.

I'm 5' 9" with a 33 inch cycling inseam (yeah, really long legs for my height - which corresponds to a short torso) and I'm drawn to the RT58 by its geometry. Relatively tall head tube with a shorter top tube suits my body proportions quite well.

I also quite like the look of this frame in the raw matt black...getting an itchy trigger finger...

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the large frame and I am 6 foot tall with a 31 inch inside leg if that helps. I have to say the bike has been trouble free and the vision wheels also have been bullet proof on some fairly rough roads and I even spin it along a canal path on a regular basis and they are still true. One thing with planet x is you need to keep in touch after you have ordered as they have a 21 day plus build queue at the moment. When I ordered there were a few stock issues so my 7 days became 11 but they upgraded the crankset as the ultegra 6800 went out of stock. They put a fsa slk on which I also love. They now have an sram and campagnolo version at varying prices but I would recommend the bike.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Al. Can I also ask what size frame you're riding and your height and inseam please?

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Should read previously riden. Bloody predictive text on a phone.

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have had one since March of this year having perilously ridden a trek 1.7 for a number of years. The bike is a lovely ride IMO and I have it with the ultegra set up with a slk crankset. The only things I have changed is the saddle as I prefer a fizik over the one it came with.
I ride 17 miles twice a day to work and it's knocked 10 minutes off my commute and I to to get a 50-70 km ride in on the weekend and the bike eats up the miles.

pants replied to BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes
BigAl68 wrote:

it's knocked 10 minutes off my commute .

what?! does the bike come with a motor??

Latest Comments