Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Would it be fair to get a transfer refunded in this instance?

I put a rider in my team at 19:08 last night.

That's a couple of hours after the first stage had been scored.

This evening I find that the rider I had put in wasn't even in the startlist.

The response I get is that it is my duty to check that the rider is racing. Let's not forget that this particular rider was on the road.cc roster as available to put in my squad last night, and until 17:30pm this afternoon he was still there.

So, for 30 ish hours after the race has started, this rider could be put into teams, even though he didn't start the first stage.

I personally think that this is not right and that I should get that wasted transfer back.

The alternative, of course, is every time I want to add a rider, no matter when during a race I want to add them, that I check against the official startlist that he is actually racing. That could become a bit laborious.

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

If he hadn't been there I would more than likely have put a 3.0 rider in.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the third transfer 'cost' you ten points when it was clearly part of a strategy to get sagan and swift in your side, and guardini was just a filler rider you fancied to complete the deal. it's not like your stage 2 hung on him performing.

if you'd known guardini was out, you'd have spent 10pts on another filler rider, no? it'd be interesting to know who, although you probably don't know and it's moot anyway. what's done is done.

i'm not saying it isn't annoying, and we do try and make sure all the startlists are accurate. but riders get swapped about before races start and sometimes they get missed. especially with the races with poorer online info, and the TDS is certainly one of them.

You're dressing this up as if it's ruined your race when in fact your transfers made you a net 39 points and likely would have done if it had been some other chancer in the third slot instead of Guardini.

Joelsim replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the third transfer 'cost' you ten points when it was clearly part of a strategy to get sagan and swift in your side, and guardini was just a filler rider you fancied to complete the deal. it's not like your stage 2 hung on him performing.

if you'd known guardini was out, you'd have spent 10pts on another filler rider, no? it'd be interesting to know who, although you probably don't know and it's moot anyway. what's done is done.

i'm not saying it isn't annoying, and we do try and make sure all the startlists are accurate. but riders get swapped about before races start and sometimes they get missed. especially with the races with poorer online info, and the TDS is certainly one of them.

You're dressing this up as if it's ruined your race when in fact your transfers made you a net 39 points and likely would have done if it had been some other chancer in the third slot instead of Guardini.

You are correct in that it was a filler rider but after recent good results he was put for the forthcoming sprint stages. And yes it is true I wanted Sagan and Swift.

The fact of the matter is that I put him in in good faith, during a race which has cost me 2 transfers whichever way you look at it.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

I apreciate you feel aggrieved by this but its happened and restoration of your 10 points wont make any real difference to the end result ?

I think the fact your highlighted the problem will go a long way to ensuring it wont happen again or for people to be more aware of the problem and to double check their teams.

Joelsim replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I apreciate you feel aggrieved by this but its happened and restoration of your 10 points wont make any real difference to the end result ?

I think the fact your highlighted the problem will go a long way to ensuring it wont happen again or for people to be more aware of the problem and to double check their teams.

Well if I hadn't incurred that 10pt penalty then I would only be 10pts behind the leader and have a spare transfer at the very least.

I'm not blaming anyone, but it seems madness as it was during the race.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

But a 10 pt penalty for putting someone in who isn't even racing on the belief that he was as he was listed.

Plus no points from that rider in the stage.

Plus the waste of another transfer to get rid of him.

It's a ridiculous scenario, surely there can be some sort of understanding on this.

TERatcliffe26 replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

But a 10 pt penalty for putting someone in who isn't even racing on the belief that he was as he was listed.

Plus no points from that rider in the stage.

Plus the waste of another transfer to get rid of him.

It's a ridiculous scenario, surely there can be some sort of understanding on this.

I understand it fully, I did it with Iglinsky, im just trying to say that it won't have been done on purpose. I can't really comment for Dave in terms of whether he sees this as a scenario to give a transfer or whatever. But from my point of view I see it that in the case of Iglinsky I should have paid more attention to startlists, and such its more my fault and at the end of the day it is just a game

northstar | 9 years ago
0 likes

fair?

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Difficult one really. I usually check the race website as well as road cc as accidents / mistakes do happen on both lists.

Perhaps an extra free transfer could be arrnged for the next stage race, would that do ???

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

No, the risk is part of the game. Extremely annoying but part of the game anyway.

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had Iglinsky in for Dauphine but he didn't ride.

Unfortunately these things happen, we are human after all and have the same info as any other player when we do the startlists, and it doesn't help when races don't publish a final list until after the first stage, or back in the case of ToC, not even publishing one at all.

Joelsim replied to TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Unfortunately these things happen, we are human after all and have the same info as any other player when we do the startlists, and it doesn't help when races don't publish a final list until after the first stage, or back in the case of ToC, not even publishing one at all.

It's a bit different if they don't appear pre race, but after the first stage?

TERatcliffe26 replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

It's a bit different if they don't appear pre race, but after the first stage?

Maybe, but it as the same with Iglinsky, I put him in for stage 3.

Alls I will say is it is easy for a single person to miss selecting or, de-selecting a rider, ie you didn't realise you hadn't unselected him from the roster, therefore remains in he game, and therefore unless you go into picking a team you wold not notice he is still there, if you thought you had unselected him. As unless a rider scores, or is DNF etc you don't really look for there name.

Its hard to get across quite how the background entry takes place without you guys being able to see it.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm really annoyed about this.

Fair enough if a rider pulls out for whatever reason, unfortunately that is what happens. But the onus should not be on the player to check that the riders on the road.cc list are actually correct after a stage has been raced. This transfer cost me 10 penalty points plus a wasted rider for today's stage plus I had to use a transfer to remove him this evening.

That is wrong and should never happen. If I hadn't seen him on the road.cc list then I wouldn't have put him in.

MartyMcCann | 9 years ago
0 likes

Actually it would be quicker just to check who didn't start and see if they are on your team rather than the other way round...

Latest Comments