Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Building Bike

I've just done a quick price check and you can buy Di2 with hydraulic disk brakes for around £1100. I was wondering if you could recommend a good value comfortable frame that would fit a setup like this? Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes - Started out as my plan for a winter bike and multi-day touring bike plus any slower group rides where I might have the camera along (leaving my normal road bike for all the spring/summer/autumn mountain riding I do here in Japan). However I'm seriously worrying I'll enjoy this bike over the other one in all situations. Its only a couple of hundred grammes heavier than the roadbike and more comfortable. I can see the roadbike getting left attached to the indoor trainer for most of the year at this point....  105

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thats lovely. Has that been built for yourself?

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thats lovely. Has that been built for yourself?

0 likes

You should be able to see the video from my website here -
http://www.macrophotofly.com/p708650030/e86ddf21

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I would love to see the video. Sounds ace

0 likes

Just built that groupset* into a Boardman CXR 9.8 frame**. The bike feels wonderful and looks the biz with some carbon wheels. I was tempted by the Orbea but the frame weighed a little more. The Focus Cayo (reviewed today on the top stories) might have won my money if it had been available a couple of months back - though having said that, the Boardman has fittings for mudguards and rear rack which will give me the bonus of longer distance and/or winter options which is where I really intend to use this bike over my non-disc bike.
My total build weight including bottle holders was 7.4kg and I have a (rather self-indulgent) 5 min build video if you are interested.

* apart from the crank where I re-used a SRAM Red one I had
** Carbon frame with little extra strength and suppliness to allow cyclocross duties if required - however this isn't in the ultra comfortable bracket of a steel framed bike

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Bianchi Impulso C2C at the moment. I love its geometry. I ride the occasional sportive - Flanders, Manchester 100. I tend to do rides around 50-60 miles at the weekend and I commute in all weathers about 15 miles a day. Im thinking of using the Bianchi as my winter bike and building something with electronic gears and disk brakes for special nice weather riding. The type of riding I do is extremely hilly through the Peak District (Erwin Reservoir) and extremely flat through Cheshire. Not worried if its carbon/aluminium/bamboo just so long as its comfy. I have been put off a China Frame by the misses as she thinks I should get something trustworthy and well tested rather than risk it. Hence why Im stumped. I don't really want a out and out racer, but I don't want a tourer.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Horse before cart.

movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would be helpful if you could comment on what type of riding you want to do (distance ie endurance/centuries vs shorter distances, terrain, types of routes, ...) as it can help people tailor their responses/pinpoint other riders with complementary experience. Cheers.

Latest Comments