Building Bike

by dunnoh   June 15, 2014  

I've just done a quick price check and you can buy Di2 with hydraulic disk brakes for around £1100. I was wondering if you could recommend a good value comfortable frame that would fit a setup like this? Ta

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

It would be helpful if you could comment on what type of riding you want to do (distance ie endurance/centuries vs shorter distances, terrain, types of routes, ...) as it can help people tailor their responses/pinpoint other riders with complementary experience. Cheers.

Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs

movingtarget's picture

posted by movingtarget [134 posts]
15th June 2014 - 22:51

like this
Like (1)

Horse before cart.

posted by redmeat [69 posts]
16th June 2014 - 12:47

like this
Like (1)

I have a Bianchi Impulso C2C at the moment. I love its geometry. I ride the occasional sportive - Flanders, Manchester 100. I tend to do rides around 50-60 miles at the weekend and I commute in all weathers about 15 miles a day. Im thinking of using the Bianchi as my winter bike and building something with electronic gears and disk brakes for special nice weather riding. The type of riding I do is extremely hilly through the Peak District (Erwin Reservoir) and extremely flat through Cheshire. Not worried if its carbon/aluminium/bamboo just so long as its comfy. I have been put off a China Frame by the misses as she thinks I should get something trustworthy and well tested rather than risk it. Hence why Im stumped. I don't really want a out and out racer, but I don't want a tourer.

posted by dunnoh [172 posts]
16th June 2014 - 13:10

like this
Like (1)

Just built that groupset* into a Boardman CXR 9.8 frame**. The bike feels wonderful and looks the biz with some carbon wheels. I was tempted by the Orbea but the frame weighed a little more. The Focus Cayo (reviewed today on the top stories) might have won my money if it had been available a couple of months back - though having said that, the Boardman has fittings for mudguards and rear rack which will give me the bonus of longer distance and/or winter options which is where I really intend to use this bike over my non-disc bike.
My total build weight including bottle holders was 7.4kg and I have a (rather self-indulgent) 5 min build video if you are interested.

* apart from the crank where I re-used a SRAM Red one I had
** Carbon frame with little extra strength and suppliness to allow cyclocross duties if required - however this isn't in the ultra comfortable bracket of a steel framed bike

posted by macrophotofly [32 posts]
17th June 2014 - 5:26

like this
Like (2)

Yeah I would love to see the video. Sounds ace

17th June 2014 - 20:36

like this
Like (1)

You should be able to see the video from my website here -
http://www.macrophotofly.com/p708650030/e86ddf21

18th June 2014 - 1:38

like this
Like (2)

Thats lovely. Has that been built for yourself?

18th June 2014 - 18:50

like this
Like (0)

Yes - Started out as my plan for a winter bike and multi-day touring bike plus any slower group rides where I might have the camera along (leaving my normal road bike for all the spring/summer/autumn mountain riding I do here in Japan). However I'm seriously worrying I'll enjoy this bike over the other one in all situations. Its only a couple of hundred grammes heavier than the roadbike and more comfortable. I can see the roadbike getting left attached to the indoor trainer for most of the year at this point.... Day Dreaming

26th June 2014 - 10:47

like this
Like (1)