Ultegra chainset with Centaur 10 speed

by Miles253   June 14, 2014  

So I'm looking to grab me a compact chainset to achieve a better cadence. I've currently got a centaur, pain in the ass power torque chainset. The rest of the group is 10 speed Campagnolo. The replacement chainsets are way more expensive for Campag, obviously, so I am wondering whether it's worth just grabbing a Ultegra chainset instead which are much cheaper, plus they come in the semi compact varieties.

My question is, will they run just as well? Or shall I just suck it up and buy the Campag one.

Thanks all.

14 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

KMC SRAM and Wipperman all do chains that work with 10 speed Campag, I'd buy those before I used a Shimano chain on it.

Campag chains are finished and tested to a very high standard though and like Wipperman are worth extra, unlike Campag cassettes which are just stupid money.

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [490 posts]
14th June 2014 - 12:40

like this
Like (1)

I am actually talking about a chainset, not a chain, thanks though

Specialized Allez 2009, Campagnolo Centaur 10, Campagnolo Shamal Wheels. 8.3kg

Miles253's picture

posted by Miles253 [195 posts]
14th June 2014 - 16:30

like this
Like (4)

Whoops.....Shimano chain sets are just plain ugly though, please don't!

As long as you also swap the bottom bracket, it should work though.

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [490 posts]
14th June 2014 - 17:55

like this
Like (2)

Merlin have some cheap campag stuff at the moment

http://www.merlincycles.com/2011-campagnolo-carbon-chainset-sale-68386.html

£120 quid

posted by dunnoh [168 posts]
14th June 2014 - 18:47

like this
Like (1)

Flying Scot wrote:
Shimano chain sets are just plain ugly though, please don't!

Have a look at SRAM chainsets, 110mm PCD and loads of aftermarket ring available, i use 38/50 on mine, i find the jump of 16 teeth way too big. I have also tried a 36 inner ring but found i prefer the 38.

posted by Welsh boy [102 posts]
14th June 2014 - 18:48

like this
Like (1)

Flying Scot wrote:
Whoops.....Shimano chain sets are just plain ugly though, please don't!

As long as you also swap the bottom bracket, it should work though.

I dont agree necessarily, but i see where your coming from

Specialized Allez 2009, Campagnolo Centaur 10, Campagnolo Shamal Wheels. 8.3kg

Miles253's picture

posted by Miles253 [195 posts]
14th June 2014 - 19:10

like this
Like (1)

Wowowowowwww! Right, before you go anywhere, get yourself to eBay. I've upgraded to Chorus 10 speed (with Record chainset and front mech) for less than £300 this year. Give it a look before you stick some fugly shimano on your bike.

posted by s_lim [94 posts]
15th June 2014 - 19:03

like this
Like (2)

A Shimano 10 speed chainset will work fine with the rest of the Campagnolo drivetrain. The Shimano chainset may not be the finest looking (depending on your taste) but it is nevertheless a great product from the functional perspective. My impression is that the Dura Ace 7800 triple and 7900 compact I am riding are considerably stiffer than the Record 2004 and Record 2007 chainsets I replaced, and certainly less creaky.

posted by Derny [41 posts]
16th June 2014 - 5:43

like this
Like (2)

I am always scouring ebay, but centaur chainsets and up seem to go between 80 and £200 alone, how you managed to upgrade the entire groupset for sub £300 is beyond me, luck i guess.

@Derny, i have always heard Shimano chainsets were stiffer, someone like me is unlikely to feel the difference however.

Specialized Allez 2009, Campagnolo Centaur 10, Campagnolo Shamal Wheels. 8.3kg

Miles253's picture

posted by Miles253 [195 posts]
16th June 2014 - 22:06

like this
Like (2)

Miles253 wrote:
I am always scouring ebay, but centaur chainsets and up seem to go between 80 and £200 alone, how you managed to upgrade the entire groupset for sub £300 is beyond me, luck i guess.

@Derny, i have always heard Shimano chainsets were stiffer, someone like me is unlikely to feel the difference however.

Record cranks - £105
Record front mech - £20
Chorus shifters - convinced a guy to go Buy it now for £95
Chorus rear derailleur - £65

Just luck of the draw.

posted by s_lim [94 posts]
17th June 2014 - 13:47

like this
Like (1)

You might be surprised! The stiffness of the modern Shimano chainrings shows up in better front shifting as well. I also value a bike which runs relatively silently, and I could not achieve that with the modern Campagnolo cranks.

posted by Derny [41 posts]
18th June 2014 - 16:08

like this
Like (1)

Claptrap surely about Campagnolo cranks not running 'relatively silently'. All modern chainsets, fitted correctly and operating within their design parameters, run properly.

Agree with Derny that Dura Ace sets are very good, esp the 7800 triple. I don't think we shall see its like from Shimano again.

harman_mogul's picture

posted by harman_mogul [117 posts]
18th June 2014 - 16:45

like this
Like (1)

harman_mogul wrote:
Claptrap surely about Campagnolo cranks not running 'relatively silently'. All modern chainsets, fitted correctly and operating within their design parameters, run properly.

My mechanical powers were quite unequal to the task of eliminating the creaks and ticks of my Record crankset. I eventually gave up. Best of luck to the fellow who picked it up at the swap meet!

posted by Derny [41 posts]
18th June 2014 - 16:58

like this
Like (1)

Derny wrote:
harman_mogul wrote:
Claptrap surely about Campagnolo cranks not running 'relatively silently'. All modern chainsets, fitted correctly and operating within their design parameters, run properly.

My mechanical powers were quite unequal to the task of eliminating the creaks and ticks of my Record crankset. I eventually gave up. Best of luck to the fellow who picked it up at the swap meet!

Equally, despite tonnes of tuning and melding I cannot get mine to run smooth!

Which is frustrating

Specialized Allez 2009, Campagnolo Centaur 10, Campagnolo Shamal Wheels. 8.3kg

Miles253's picture

posted by Miles253 [195 posts]
18th June 2014 - 18:33

like this
Like (1)