Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Steel Frameset

Looking at building up a steel framed winter bike. Been looking at the Genesis Equilibrium 20. Just wondered if there are any other framesets that are worth a look for around the £4-500 mark.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Ratfink | 9 years ago
0 likes

That looks really nice.

ped | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice. Nothing beats that new bike smell!

Gman59c | 9 years ago
0 likes

Managed to get hold of a Genesis Equilibrium 20 frame set and have just had it built up. Not been out on it yet but walking about smiling as if somebody has put a coat hanger in my mouth!!

Gman59c | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I have found out the Genesis is now unavailable in the size I would like.

Has anybody got any experience of a Soma Smoothie??

Brown dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

As the owner of Genesis Equilibrium 20 I can confirm it defently brings a smile to your face. Mine was custom fitted at lovevelo in derby , change a few things to suit me if you are looking fofantastic service try lovevelo

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

As the owner of a 725 Equilibrium I'm openly biased but I think you may start off using it as a winter hack but end up riding it most of the time. Unless you are actually participating in a race it will do everything you want, at reasonable cost and in some style. And it will bring a smile to your face, which is, as the ad' says, priceless.

alotronic | 9 years ago
0 likes

Spa Audax 725 carbon fork - £315
Hewitt Audax 631 steel fork - £425
A Bob Jackson will set you back about £500 I think - 631.

Those are in the same quality and performance territory as the Genisis. The Kinesis will be lighter/faster and is certainly a better 'fast club run' bike than any of the steel bikes - but if you want something for very long distance and light touring then any of the above will be good and the Equilibrium would be excellent I suspect.

pj | 9 years ago
0 likes

why not get a second hand frame on ebay, reynolds 531, if you're after the 'classic' look?

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe a Singular Osprey if you like the classic look?

http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/index.php/frames/singular-osprey.html

Gman59c replied to jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, so that too, nothing in my size though

Gman59c | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, I had been looking at the 4S and I do keep going back to it, however I really like the idea of something quite classic and some of the steel frames look really nice.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 the Kinesis models ... TK3 is Ace  1 oh and should be discounted now the
4S is out !!!

Chris James | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the Ribble one only has clearances for 23mm tyres and guards, which may affect your thinking if you plan to running bigger tyres in winter.

ped replied to Chris James | 9 years ago
0 likes
Chris James wrote:

I think the Ribble one only has clearances for 23mm tyres and guards, which may affect your thinking if you plan to running bigger tyres in winter.

It'll definitely do 25s with guards, but point taken.

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're prepared to forgo steel and can stretch the budget a tiny bit, the Kinesis TK3 (think it's been rebranded the 4S this year) is arguably the best option around for a winter racer. Still one of the only framesets around with a tapered steerer and proper mud guard mounts. The new paint jobs on the 4S framesets are lovely too.

ped | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just a few to consider:

Surly Pacer? (Cross Check if you want something more flexible).
All City Mr Pink? (if you can find one cheap).
Ribble's 525 one? (Absolute steel—pun intended—at £175).

Latest Comments