Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What bike.......

I've seen a few reviews and just want to throw it to the community. I'm a regular cyclist. Mainly commuter. But I've come to the point where I want a proper road bike. Something that won't be tough on my 'glass back'. Ideally I'd like it to be suitable to do a 70 mile sportive carrying 17.5 stone on it. Basically I'm a big lad with a dodgy back with a budget of £750. And I'd like you lot to further confuse me. So far a boardman, cube or a ribble are the favourites.
What do you guys think. ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

My old bike is a Trek Domane 2.0 (aluminium frame) and I have to say that the rear-end is excellent over bumps, broken surfaces, pot-holes and anything not completely smooth (i.e. British roads). The (carbon) front end is actually really rather good too, I think I only tended to notice it due to the good job the back was doing. Moving on to a Wilier Izoard XP, full carbon including seat-post and bars, and being a similar geometry/style of bike - although the frame is noticeably lighter and stiffer, I don't it's getting anything much over the Domane in the comfort stakes, which in some cases actually has the smoother ride.

Given your back, it sounds like the Domane might make a good choice for you, and definitely go for the best fit you can afford. Whatever you choose, you'll soon have a new bike, so it's all good really  1

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

To your now-refined question, the Trek Domane sounds like a good bet -also sounds like you've already tried one.

Good luck!

Carlos the jackal | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks lads,
after just one LBS visit I've seen your points in action. i tried two bikes after explaining my needs. the first a trek was defo the most comfortable, but the cube had the better spec lighter etc. but all that will not matter if it causes me pain. this means realistically i cant buy anything direct off the net i guess.
i have a local shop which does a bike fitting service so i guess that's my next port of call, so i can find out the best/most comfortable measurements and take it from there. i think maybe my question should have been which bikes have a more relaxed geometry rather than what bike. lesson learnt there.
ive had physio till its coming out of my ears, my core is weak and my flexibility is shocking and i have a disc that bulges occasionally. but as long as i do my exercises I'm ok. i just don't want to aggravate it if possible.
thanks again.

PS got my first KOM on strava on my touring bike, happy days..

movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes

First bikes are always tricky but exciting. Definitely would look into a LBS that is knowledgeable enough and willing to answer your (many) questions as ideally this should be the beginning of a long term relationship (I'm popping by the different shops so much, you can't swing a dead cat in Portland without hitting at least 7 bike shops, that they all recognize me much to my wallet's lament). Based on your back needs and riding interests, you might want to ask them about which endurance/relaxed geometry frames they would recommend as less of an aggressive race geometry would be more comfortable for longer rides and usually also for dodgy spines. I'm assuming you've also done physio exercises for your back or cross-training with yoga/Pilates/core strengthening & stretching as that can increase your suppleness to make longer distances more comfortable? Good luck with the new bike. Always fun to go bike shopping  1

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

Your question is tough to answer on an Internet forum. If this is your first road bike, I would suggest focusing on bike fit, and test-riding several bikes. To assess bike fit you need an advisor who can see you on a bike, such as an experienced person from a local club, or a professional bike fitter, or a person at a shop you trust. It makes more sense to start there than with a discussion of brands and models. As a consumer you are better off being brand-agnostic in your shopping.

Latest Comments